Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2006, 12:14 PM

Default Wow....how to play against this guy.

I dunno this might be a stupid post but I think sometimes things like this are very valuable. I played against this guy last night. He was the ultimate LP. His stats over like 500 hands were 84/1/1. I saw him push turns twice, both times he had draws or second pair. I watched him chase gutshots till the river. He folded less than half the time to CB's. My dilemna was that we were both deep +300BB's and he was directly on my left. In general what do you do to adapt to this? I know he's not likely to fold, and I don't really want to play 300bb pots with marginal hands. I'll post a couple of hands, appreciate any thoughts. My basic strategy was play in any limped pot with him I could, but I played any TP or two pair hands on scary boards fairly cautiously. I worked hard to control pot size because I didn't want to be put to a 200bb decision with a marginal hand. I played any sets or straights more agressively because he would chase. I didn't cbet without decent hands most of the time, although I would occassionaly make cbets with air.

Hand 1

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($200)
UTG ($641.08)
MP ($365.90)
Hero ($615.40)
Button ($1427.57)
SB ($203.70)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, Button calls $8, SB (poster) calls $7, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($26) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $10</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $10.

Turn: ($46) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $15</font>, Hero calls $15.

River: ($76) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $40</font>, Hero calls $40.

Final Pot: $156

Hand 2 - This was the first time I've ever seen him raise a river.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($274)
MP ($666.28)
CO ($451.35)
Hero ($671.40)
SB ($1164.32)
BB ($213)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, SB (poster) calls $7, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($18) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $6</font>, Hero calls $6.

Turn: ($30) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $15</font>, Hero calls $15.

River: ($60) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $35</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $70</font>, Hero calls $35.

Final Pot: $200
Old 05-25-2006, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Wow....how to play against this guy.

bump
Old 05-25-2006, 10:44 AM

Sounds like you played very well against this guy from your description. As you said, pot control is a good idea with marginalia, punish him with sets and five card hands. Patience is important against a player like this as well Hand one is rough, you don't beat a lot except a busted flush, perhaps lower pockets. I may find a fold on the river.
I like hand two, I think you see QT here often enough for this call to be good.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:46 AM

DJ, I don't get it, you say he's passive but pushes the turn with a draw or 2nd pair?
Old 05-25-2006, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bump

[/ QUOTE ]

dj,

was this againt superneogga (or something like that)?

if so, i feel your pain. he was seriously at over 90% vpip at my table one day and pwning the [censored] of out me. over betting, minraising, slow playing, huge bluffs--it was like he could see my friggin' cards. I did stack him when he called off his stack with an underpair though, so go figure.

regards,

ness
Old 05-25-2006, 10:50 AM

A guy that is 84/1/1 pushing with 2nd pair and draws??? That is just plain wierd becuase his stats seem so passive that he would not do those types of things, I would really be paying attention to him to get every read I could since you know he is a lottery ticket, but you just need to find the key.

Hand 1 was probably WA/WB right, so calling down is not too bad vs an awful player, but if he is passive he probably has us beat when he fires three barrels, no? We probably should find a fold in here, but where???

Hand 2 A check raise from this guy, eek, but I am calling here as he may be overvaluing 10-junk enough to make this a call.

I can honestly say I do not think I have ever run into a guy with stats like that who also makes moves like you described.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can honestly say I do not think I have ever run into a guy with stats like that who also makes moves like you described.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because you don't call them.

Passive with made hands != doesn't bluff.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:56 AM

Hand 1: I don't like to c/c against LPs. I like bet/fold better. That way you get value out of them and fold when you know you are beaten. Just bet the flop. If he raises I'm done.

Hand 2: I fold the turn here. Your hand is beaten more than not. River is good imo. I think you are beaten more than not when he check raises.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:59 AM

He seems pretty aggressive from these hands.

Assuming he is as passive as you say, then value betting is obviously key. But with deep stacks I would also bet some nut draws and hope to get his whole stack when you hit one. I would loosen up preflop against a player like this as well, perhaps raising fewer hands but playing more generally.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:02 AM

H1: Fold the flop.

H2: I would find it hard not to call getting 5:1 with trips, but I doubt this will even break even--I expect Button to show me the nut straight almost every time. I would have folded the turn in this hand when a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Queen or Ten didn't show up though, so I wouldn't even be in this spot. I might also have continued if an ace came although I wouldn't have been too happy about it and I would have just check/called a small bet.