Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2006, 01:18 AM

Default How much do you ti[ for Carry Out?

So I went to get carry out at this awesome thai place. The food their is amzing, best coconut tofu soup ever. Anyways, the total of the order was like $54, I gave her a hundred, and she gave me back 60. I took a couple of steps puzzling over the change. Then turn back and told her she gave me too much change. Anyways I ended up tipping her like 6 bucks for a $54 order. I was wondering if this is too little of a tip since it's only like %11? Or is it normal not to tip at all for carry out? What do you guys do?
Old 05-20-2006, 01:20 AM

Default Re: How much do you ti[ for Carry Out?

They come to your door, if the food is hot, I do 15-20%
Old 05-20-2006, 01:20 AM

Wasnt this just done like 2 weeks ago?????
Old 05-20-2006, 02:05 AM

You're supposed to tip carry-out?
Old 05-20-2006, 02:10 AM

you know, i see a bunch of threads about tipping.

I opened this one.......who gives a f?
Old 05-20-2006, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wasnt this just done like 2 weeks ago?????

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, this thread is done EVERY two weeks, I just reset the clock. Although usually the OPs care enough to check the subject line to make sure that "tip" is spelled properly, so in a way this is unique.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:21 AM

I'm a bartender for a national restaurant chain. In addition to making drinks for the tables, we also have a front bar where people will occasionally order drinks while they're waiting to be seated. We also do take-out catering, meaning that on our busier nights, we'll have as many as four bartenders working, each concentrating on one of those areas, with the fourth doing things like restocking the bar, washing glasses, working the register, etc....

As far as our customer base goes, some tip $3-$5 for orders as little as $40-50, some throw in a buck, and the majority doesn't tip at all. On the takeout end, it doesn't bother us much, as we get tips for serving drinks at the front bar, as well as a percentage of each server's bar receipts (which we split). Takeout tips aren't a big portion of our income.

As far as Chinese/Thai restaurants, they don't have the luxury of other tip money. Ante up you cheap [censored]s.

Edit: Important tip. If you've given or received a gift card from any establishment, make sure you don't have to use it relatively soon after it was purchased, lest they shave 'maintenance fees' off the balance of the card each month it's not used.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:23 AM

There is absolutely no reason to tip the "standard" restaurant 15-20% for takeout.

The delivery guy is typically paid minimum wage or better, waiters are considered "tipped" employees and thus make lower than the traditional minimum wage.

In addition the service they provide you is just bring you your food. They don't tend to you for about an hour like a good waiter will.

I normally tip between 5-10% for takeout (my normal take out order is like $15'ish so I normally jsut giev them a $1).

I tip 15% in restaurants pretty default, and if the waitress is hot and friendly I normally do like 25% or something retarded.

Oh and yes many people don't tip take out people anything, my family never tipped the pizza guy, didn't know they were supposed to, and then I was at a friend's house and saw them give him a dollar (I was like 10) and told my parents and they were like "ohhh" and they've always given the pizza guy a dollar since, haha.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:37 AM

Zero to a dollar, depending on how charitable I'm feeling. Carryout employees are generally paid reasonable wages and don't rely on tips to feed their families.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:39 AM

delivery guys, depends on the size of the order... for under 20 bucks, i usually give them at least 4 bucks... but usually around 20% or so. carry out, nothing... i might throw in a buck if there's a tip jar, but that's it.