Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2006, 11:03 AM

Default Home Bad Beat jackpot

We just started offering a bad beat jackpot, no we dont take a rake, but at the end of the night we ask people to through in their extra change and stuff so its easier to cash out. Does anyone else do that? Or are we just nuts?

Its not very big, and we payout for any boat that you lose when you play your both hole cards in hold em, omaha its when your quads are busted. Only been offering it for a month or 2 and havent paid out yet.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Home Bad Beat jackpot

i think this is a very good idea, i'm going to steal it from you lol thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 05:06 PM

lol we paid it out 3x on Saturday.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:16 PM

We take $1 from every player every time we play. We have two rules in effect. If pocket aces get cracked then the loser gets 50% of current pot. If acess full gets beat (both hole cards must play), then that loser gets 100% of current pot. We have been using this for four weeks now and it's paid out five separate times.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:28 PM

Trend How big is your game? Wow sounds big.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We take $1 from every player every time we play. We have two rules in effect. If pocket aces get cracked then the loser gets 50% of current pot. If acess full gets beat (both hole cards must play), then that loser gets 100% of current pot. We have been using this for four weeks now and it's paid out five separate times.

[/ QUOTE ]

What stakes do you play?

I would think that people would sandbag the hell out of aces just so they WOULD get cracked so they could take down 50% of the bad beat jackpot. It seems like a win/win for anyone with pocket aces. Either win a small pot or lose with them and win even more money from the jackpot....
Old 05-27-2006, 12:11 AM

I forget which site it is, but their bad beat works like this:

4 of a kind beat by a higher 4 of kind gets a percentage of the pot.

straight flush gets cracked by a higher straight flush or royal flush they get I think its like 90% or could be the full amount from the bad beat pot.

I am not sure if they include full houses in there, but they might.

Pocket Aces while a nice hand, is still just a pocket pair, with the same odds of hitting a set on the flop as any other pocket pair (just it has a higher percentage chance of winning whether it improves post flop or not than other pocket pairs) -- not sure it should qualify for a bad beat pot.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:07 AM

In one of my weekly games, it's a $10 buy in with rebuys for 1 hour, and the initial buy-in has $1 put into bad beat pot. Bad beat is FH of 10's or better losing using both hole cards. Game usually has 12-18 players. It rarely hits. But we keep attendance, and once the pot hits $200, the next game is our Bad Beat Championship game with the $200 being put into the prize pool, plus the $10 buy ins that week, no re-buys. Only players who had previously contributed at least $1 to the pot are eligible to play in the 'sweetened pot' game. We start with 10,000 in chips and each player gets 500 more for every $1 they contributed, encouraging weekly attendance.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:29 AM

I was just at a place in Wisconsin, that every Friday between 2-6pm, if you have A's loose a showdown you get a rack($100) uh if you were playing low limit why wouldnt you sandbag it.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:51 PM

A home game I play at has something similiar but a little different. For every pot over 100 dollars (the game is dealer's choice with 1 dollar ante), one dollar is taken from the pot. But the money doesn't go to a "bad beat" jackpot but instead to a "quads or better" jackpot. Any player to get quads or better wins it.