FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2006, 11:36 PM

Default OOT: Help, I need a new TV.

It should be:

-Widescreen
-Have 1080i output, with HDMI input.
-Around 32" [+/- 2"]

It would be nice if it had/was:
-The ability to up-sample video with lower quality signal.
-Flatscreen, but I'm willing to get a tube tv (do these even come in 1080i?) if it reduces the cost.

How much should I expect to pay? What are some good brands?
Old 05-18-2006, 11:41 PM

Default Re: OOT: Help, I need a new TV.

i assume you mean 1080i input. i don't know of any native 1080i sets. there are 720p sets that upconvert to 1080i, and there are 1080p sets (most of which only take 1080i over standard inputs).

look at cnet.com to start, and do not waste your time buying an hdtv if it isn't at least 37". and only get a 37" if you're sitting like 5 feet away from it. 42" is really a practical minimum, anything less is pointless because of missed detail. price is understandably a factor, but you'd be well-advised to keep watching what you have or pick up something crappy on craigslist to use until you can afford something that's actually worth buying.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i assume you mean 1080i input.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant that the TV was capable of displaying video at 1080i. At 34", do you think 720p would be ok?
Old 05-18-2006, 11:55 PM

like i said, there aren't really 1080i sets - just 720p and 1080p. one upconverts, the other can show it for real. before you get obsessed with technical specs you should beat down the basics by reading some hdtv guides. if you get a 720p set and watch 1080i content on it, it is "upconverting" the signal. the resolution on the set is still fixed at 1280x720 though, it hasn't magically become 1920x1080.

at 34" you'd probably be challenged to tell the difference between a high-quality 480p dvd and 720p hd content if you're sitting a "normal" distance from the televsion (like 12'-15'). unless you have 2k+ to spend on a 42"+ rear projection set, you're wasting your money imho. i can see buying something like a samsung 30" ws crt for a guest bedroom or console tv, but for your primary tv/movie set you shouldn't waste money on such a modest upgrade.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:27 AM

The tv is for my apartment, but eventually will end up in my bedroom when I get a house. This TV is just meant to last as a "main" entertainment tv until then. When I get a house, I'm getting a projector.

Does this change the answer at all?
Old 05-19-2006, 12:40 AM

it depends on how long it is between now and "eventually" in realistic terms.

when you say "projector", do you mean a front projector? they can be fun for movies, but it can be a drag for television. they're rather failure-prone, noisy, hot, and most annoyingly require complete darkness to perform well. i think they're great for people who have proper theater rooms though.

for you, i'm still leaning toward a 32" non-hd cheapo whatever until you can get something proper.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
like i said, there aren't really 1080i sets - just 720p and 1080p. one upconverts, the other can show it for real. before you get obsessed with technical specs you should beat down the basics by reading some hdtv guides. if you get a 720p set and watch 1080i content on it, it is "upconverting" the signal. the resolution on the set is still fixed at 1280x720 though, it hasn't magically become 1920x1080.

at 34" you'd probably be challenged to tell the difference between a high-quality 480p dvd and 720p hd content if you're sitting a "normal" distance from the televsion (like 12'-15'). unless you have 2k+ to spend on a 42"+ rear projection set, you're wasting your money imho. i can see buying something like a samsung 30" ws crt for a guest bedroom or console tv, but for your primary tv/movie set you shouldn't waste money on such a modest upgrade.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean there are no 1080p sets. Lots of sets are 1080i.

You are also incorrect that there is no visible difference between 480p dvd and 720p on a 34" set. If that's the case, you've got a really crappy set. Take a look at one of the Sony tubes (This one.) just to see what a display can do and you'll see a world of difference.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you mean there are no 1080p sets. Lots of sets are 1080i.

[/ QUOTE ]

no. there are several native 1080p sets (more every day), and there virtually aren't any native 1080i sets - just 720p sets that upconvert to 1080i. what i wrote was very clear.

i'm aware of the quality of the ws xbr crts. it's pretty well-established that, despite standard crt drawbacks, they have the best picture available in the consumer hd market. i still think it is a waste of money. when you go to a shop you see demo sets at eye level and you're standing 2 feet away from them. looks great! but when you're sitting across a moderately-sized room, a set that small isn't worth having. the nuances of its quality are missed at that distance, and the real value of hdtv is to have a theater experience.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it depends on how long it is between now and "eventually" in realistic terms.

when you say "projector", do you mean a front projector? they can be fun for movies, but it can be a drag for television. they're rather failure-prone, noisy, hot, and most annoyingly require complete darkness to perform well. i think they're great for people who have proper theater rooms though.

for you, i'm still leaning toward a 32" non-hd cheapo whatever until you can get something proper.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be a few years.

My folks have a DLP projector, and it's real nice, even when it's not super dark.

Is the general consensus that at 32", it doesn't matter if it's HD or not? I'm looking to play GT4 and some other games that will (presumably) have HD when the PS3 comes out.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:58 AM

you're going to spend $700 to play gran turismo but you can't spring for a large set? c'mon man.