Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2005, 04:04 AM

Default mystery *s

as far as i know i'm the only mod that does the * thing. when i give them out, i put offense/date/astro in the mod comments so it's clear to me or anybody else what happened. i've been noticing people that have them here and there when i'm absolutely certain i didn't give them out, and there are no comments on the user.

what gives?
Old 12-29-2005, 08:07 AM

Default Re: mystery *s

I've only given out the one I told you about, and wouldn't do it without leaving comments anyway.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:55 AM

The three * rule is only allowed in OOT.

Link

If astroglide wants to let the other OOT mods use his system, that's perfectly fine. He and the other OOT mods can work that out. But this system stays in OOT, and it should not be used by people who do not moderate that forum.

All mods should remember to use the comments box.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:21 AM

I hereby give my permission for all mod's to start using the [censored] system. You can even blamed said [censored]-ing on me if you like. I enjoy getting the nasty PM's
Old 12-29-2005, 10:28 AM

sorry, astroglide

i gave one to Synergistic Explosions quite a long time ago as an appropriate joke in relation to one of his posts in the Zoo

ironically, he wore it with such pride and he so didn't want to lose it that i didn't have the heart to later delete it as intended, originally

i didn't mean to spoil your system, so please feel free to delete it if necessary - although i know you will bring a tear to his eye if you do
Old 12-29-2005, 01:46 PM

I haven't given any stars, but I did change pokerbob's location from a * to it's current state. The guy may have made a lame post in oot (the hat one, which I didn't actually think was worth a * but what do I know/care) but giving somebody like him a permanant star is just kinda stupid and pointless. It's not like he's going to actually get banned and making his location be a * forever is just kinda dumb cause he's mostly a strategy forum poster.

Hope you didn't mind I made the change.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:23 PM

when random mods do it do random people, it will likely come back to me. diebitter from oot received one, for example. i don't know why, and neither does he. he PMd me and said something to the effect of, "hey i'm sure i earned it but just curious what was it for?" i looked and he had one, i totally didn't put it there, and there were no mod notes on the subject.

recently i gave one to handsome for a piracy solicitation post. later, he ended up with two. i put a note in there that said, "who gave him a second one?" and this morning it was gone - again with no notes.

to bike, when respected posters get one they'll go away quickly. most of the time it's just a token thing, but i do it in the spirit of fair enforcement. i'm not sure if this is the experience of other mods, but virtually every complaint i receive after doing a */edit/delete/lock/whatever is that "OMG I SAW ONE 2.7 MONTHS AGO WITH SIMILAR CONTENT AND IT WAS NOT MODERATED SIR. SIR YOU ARE A CRONY AND A HYPOCRITE."
Old 12-29-2005, 05:58 PM

I'm getting tired of seeing respected posters in the strategy forums with stars in their titles. It bothers me. I admit that I can't exactly explain why I feel this way. Perhaps it's just because I'm here for poker and OOT seems to be intruding into my space.

Why don't you start putting the stars in the comment section next to the date and offense? Send PMs to the players saying "first warning" or whatever and naming their offense.

Then you wouldn't have mystery stars or confused players and the rest of us wouldn't have to think about OOT.

Let me add that moderating OOT is probably the worst job here. If you believe that what you are doing is right and what you need to do, then don't give this post another thought.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:09 PM

unfortunately, people do have a tendency to abandon all reason in oot when they are rational/good posters in other forums. if i had the ability to ban people from oot alone things would be much simpler, but such functionality is not present in the forum software 2+2 is currently using. it has been expressed as a highly desired feature of whatever might succeed it.

i think the * system does a fair job of discouraging the "it's ok to suck in oot" belief system because of the factor you're pointing out - they publicly carry with them to other forums.

[ QUOTE ]
Then you wouldn't have mystery stars or confused players

[/ QUOTE ]

moderators are using the * system without notice, and they are handing out *s without mod comments or notifying the users. that is their glitch, not mine.

furthermore, users shouldn't be confused by my system because the rules are posted and i contact them to inform them what happened and why.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:09 PM

In my experience the public nature of an OOT moderating system is essential to it being effective. It lets everyone know that OOT is not the place where you can just post whatever BS you want, just as you wouldn't in the other forums. I would expect a respected poster to read the OOT guidelines and follow them. If he doesn't than he should absolutely get a * like anyone else.

Of course its highly unlikely a respected strategy poster would ever get banned from 2+2 for OOT stuff, but perhaps after 3 *'s they would be told to not post in OOT.

If the * bothers the poster enough, im sure they could have it removed in return for agreeing to not post in OOT. As it stands now, the policy basically says be posting in OOT you are agreeing to be governed by the rules of OOT. One of which is the astro * system.