Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2006, 07:08 PM

Default Pokerstars 1.20 45 Final three

I was kind of confused playing this hand, and I feel I can greatly improve my game here. The button has been pushing lots of hands (and just lost a huge pot to SB, who called his pre-flop all-in with K5). Would appreciate your insight, thanks in advance.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (3 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Hero (t21710)
Button (t6438)
SB (t39352)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t6388</font>, SB calls t5988, <font color="#CC3333"> Hero ?
Old 05-18-2006, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Pokerstars 1.20 45 Final three

I'd probably call and try to check it down. Unless you hit a set obv.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:20 PM

I'd push. You are almost certain to have the best hand. If SB calls, then your hand needs to hold up against his, if SB folds, your hand needs to hold up against button's. Either scenario, if your hand holds, you gain chips.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:35 PM

'Almost certain'? How's that? Even if I have the best hand at this moment I think it's kind of hard for SB to let go. Thing is, I want him in (bigger chance of knocking button out and moving up in price money) but I also want to have this big pot. Because of that trying to check it down sounds like the best option. I pushed in this hand (and lost) so I'm hoping I'm not basing this conclusion on result oriented thinking. Any other viewpoints?
Old 05-18-2006, 07:53 PM

I'm saying you're only beat by 88+, hands I think SB would have tried to isolate the button with.

If you call, check it down and SB wins, then you go into HU with a 3.5:1 chip disadvantage.

If you call and check it down and button wins, you are still 3-handed, but you are now the shortstack.

If you push and SB beats you, then you get second/third.

If you push and beat SB you are chip leader HU, and even if the button wins, you're chip leader 3-handed.

I didn't do the math, but your only real concern is to beat the SB. I would have a hard time giving someone who just called with K5 much respect. I would think I'm 55% to win against SB at the absolute worst.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The button has been pushing lots of hands (and just lost a huge pot to SB, who called his pre-flop all-in with K5).

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly the small blind has it out for the button. This happens ALL THE TIME in tournaments (One player gets sick of being "bullied" and spazzes out with some garbage calls. Take advantage of it and push. You probably have the best hand.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:50 PM

Push...u have a solid hand. U dominate the button- and you'll want his chips for the HU battle that ensues.