Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2006, 12:09 PM

Default Update on my computer woes

A few weeks ago, my computer died. It was running in the morning, it went to sleep and I couldn't wake it up.

I pretty much isolated the problem to the motherboard, but I didn't have a chance to buy a new one until yesterday.

Also, I didn't realize that I would need to buy the same chipset motherboard if I didn't want to re-install Windows XP (thanks Microsoft, you bitches).

Anyway, yesterday I got the EXACT same motherboard, put it all together and fired it up. Results copied from an email to a friend.

[ QUOTE ]
I got everything put back together with the new board and fired it up. It was trying to boot windows, but for some reason the keyboard wouldn't work. It got to the screen where it asked if you want to boot in safe mode or start windows normally, the keyboard wouldn't let me select anything, then it would reboot. Also, it wasn't letting me into cmos.... also related to the keyboard.

I plugged/unplugged the keyboard and power several times, and finally got it to where I could get into cmos and set the boot drive correctly. In the meantime, at one point the keyboard was working, but it was EXTREMELY fast, like you just tap the arrow and it went 5 spaces. Anyway, it finally booted and I got into Windows normally.

Only the keyboard didn't work in Windows! What a coincidence, I thought, that the keyboard would fail at the same time. I was able to do a few things like connect to the internet and download new virus definitions, then I thought I'd go to Freddy's and get a new keyboard.

When I got back the computer had gone to sleep and wouldn't come back on, just like it did when I first had the problem! I rebooted, but now it wouldn't go all the way back into windows. Just when it was about to, it kept rebooting. At one point it decided to check the file allocation table of drive E for some reason. I also got a few BSOD errors like BAD_POOL_HEADER and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.

So now I'm thinking there is a major resource conflict that's screwing everything up. Argh. I guess I should go back to trying a different video card again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any thoughts from this forum? I'm sorta at a loss.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Update on my computer woes

I once had a similar problem once and it turned out to be a hub. So, if your lucky it will be something strange like the mouse, keyboard, power supply or even the power strip.

Good luck.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:26 PM

I had a strange problem exactly like this once, the motherboard wasn't seated correctly and was grounding weird on the case.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I once had a similar problem once and it turned out to be a hub. So, if your lucky it will be something strange like the mouse, keyboard, power supply or even the power strip.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

The mouse is a 6-month old Logitech MX1000 Laser Wireless Mouse. The keyboard was old and crappy (ps2), but I just bought a brand new USB Belkin model yesterday and it didn't fix the problem. Power supply is also 6-months old and it came with my Antec Sonata case (the PS is made by Antec as well).

The power strip is super old and crusty; I'll try replacing that tonight.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a strange problem exactly like this once, the motherboard wasn't seated correctly and was grounding weird on the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

How'd you fix it? I'm pretty sure mine is in there properly.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:56 PM

if im not mistaken those errors point to a usb problem and a memory problem. You may not have your usb headers plugged into the motherboard right and your ram may not be seated correctly either. Try taking the ram out and putting it back in. Same with the usb headers. Depending on the plugs on your headers you might have it backwards. You may also have a bad usb device.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You may not have your usb headers plugged into the motherboard right

[/ QUOTE ]

The ones on the back of the case came pre-installed with the mobo. The case also has additional USB outlets in the front... I will check to make sure I plugged that one in correctly.

[ QUOTE ]
You may also have a bad usb device.

[/ QUOTE ]

The mouse I know is good; it worked before. The keyboard is brand new, so I expect it's unlikely to be bad. Also, I was using a PS2 keyboard at first and it was giving me problems.

I did have my mouse running through one of my 2001FP's USB slots, but I've never had a problem doing that before.

I'm quite sure the RAM is in there correctly, but I will try re-installing it just to make sure.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if im not mistaken those errors point to a usb problem and a memory problem. You may not have your usb headers plugged into the motherboard right and your ram may not be seated correctly either. Try taking the ram out and putting it back in. Same with the usb headers. Depending on the plugs on your headers you might have it backwards. You may also have a bad usb device.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, some more wonky stuff. I tried the USB cord for the front inputs in a different USB port on the mobo. There are two. No difference.

Also, I tried a different power strip. No difference.

I tried plugging everything in as normal and I got NO VIDEO WHATSOEVER, which is the same problem I was having in the very beginning on the other motherboard.

I unplugged all the USB stuff and I GOT VIDEO! Unfortunately couldn't get past the user login screen.

I tried just a PS2 keyboard, but got stuck on the user login screen. I don't think the keyboard was even working, because usually can't you tab select the user you want to log in as and click return?

CHrist, this is some weird [censored]. I have no idea what to do.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:17 PM

yeah you should be able to tab over unless the focus isnt on the login. Then you can hit alt+tab and get there. Can you try another ps2 keyboard or another usb keyboard? It sounds like your closer and it sounds like its a bad usb device still
Old 05-18-2006, 09:38 PM

I'd try unplugging 1 thing at a time and see if I can at least power up and get to the point where I'd being to change BIOS settngs if I wanted to. I'd try things like unplugging the drives one by one from the power supply and then from the motherboard. It justs seems like some connection is slightly out of kilter but enough to screw up your machine. Maybe this way you can isolate the problem.