Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2006, 08:35 AM

Default AKo versus

If you're up against an early raiser, and you're in late position with AKo (maybe even s), wouldn't it be better to throw the hand away? Saying early raisers would only raise with AA QQ KK JJ AK AQ, aren't you the majority of the time behind in the hand. And with an A or K hitting the flop 33% of the time, you're a 4-1 dog going in, only getting around 1-1 on pot odds?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:48 AM

Default Re: AKo versus

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 50.1057 % 38.23% 11.88% { AKo }
Hand 2: 49.8943 % 38.02% 11.88% { JJ+, AQs+, AQo+ }
Old 05-17-2006, 11:05 AM

I think it's ok giving that you do have position and can try using it to win a few more pots than you would out of position.

Only just imo, because as you say you'll hit A or K 1/3 of the time (even less factoring in villians range) and when you do hit villian could still have you beat with AA/KK on KT7 or QQ on AQ7.

I don't know really. Can anyone provide a case for reraising your AK to put pressure on JJ/QQ/AK on flopped unders. Against poor opposition, I can't as they are likely to go to felt with a middle overpair such as JJ even if you represent a higher pair.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:04 PM

I think you are in pretty good shape here. I would only be worried about AA or KK. The rest is a race and agaist AQ you are in GREAT shape. Depends on how much the raise is the usual variances (player habits, NL vs. Limit, etc.) but with position...I think you are in good shape.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:07 PM

Keep in mind that you're much less likely to be up against AA or KK than any of the other hands. That's what makes AK ok to reraise with there (at least in low-limit games) - you'll usually be up against QQ or less, or AQ or less. And a lot of people have pretty loose raising requirements, meaning you're even better against their ranges.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:39 PM

The case for the re-raise is that against those potential hands you are, overall, about even money IF it goes to the river. Your hand must improve against most of those hands. The improvement may not come until the turn or river though. AK will improve in about 60% of hands that go to the river. That is approximately 36% on flop 12% on turn and 12% on river. The problem is that you may never see the turn or river if you miss the flop and get bet into on the flop. The re-raise argument is that you gain your full value from AK by betting when you have greater hand equity. The other argument in favor of the re-raise is that once the ace or king hits on the flop, you may no longer be able to get money in the pot from qq jj tt or aq (when k hits).
The call argument would be that 60% of the future cards are coming at once on the flop and you can put your money in where you have a greater edge when you hit the flop or save money when you don't.
IMO AKs is slightly tilted toward the re-raise due to 3% additional outs (for which you are more likely to want to see all 5 cards and might like a free card later for a flush draw), while AKo is even between call and re-raise.

Obviously, it all depends on who you're playing against, because the early raising range may be much wider than what you listed.