Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2006, 12:56 PM

Default common situation that i f\'ed up royally

i posted this in SSNL but they all wrote "lol omg wtf you suck" and offered no help, so i'm posting this here even though it's a micro limit level situation

no read

i guess ignore preflop unless you don't think it's bad

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($120)
UTG ($549)
MP ($207.79)
Button ($297.06)
Hero ($744.11)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $12</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) calls $9, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($30) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $28.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $100</font>, MP calls $167.29 (All-In), Hero calls $95.79
Old 05-16-2006, 01:00 PM

Default Re: common situation that i f\'ed up royally

fold preflop
Old 05-16-2006, 01:01 PM

PF is fine - I treat min-raises as limps - sometimes call, sometimes re-raise.

As for post-flop, I never give short stacks any credit either, so I can see going to the felt with this hand.

If he is rational though, when he 3-bets all in, you are certanly behind or he is drawing very live. If you want to give yourself a chance to get away, I lead flop instead, folding to a raise.

D
Old 05-16-2006, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

i guess ignore preflop unless you don't think it's bad

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw if i knew how to play this game i think i could turn a profit with this hand. i know i'm completely clueless in NL, but i sense a lack of creativity around here.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:02 PM

Can't analyze this hand ignoring your awful call out of position pre-flop. This is where you got yourself into trouble. Once you get to the flop I much prefer betting out and folding to a raise, or check calling and then leading turn and folding to a raise.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:04 PM

a c/r on the flop basically shuts out all hands you beat, except for a few that are probably drawing very live.

consider c/calling flop. easiest play would be to lead it, but i like c/calling here bettter
Old 05-16-2006, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't analyze this hand ignoring your awful call out of position pre-flop. This is where you got yourself into trouble. Once you get to the flop I much prefer betting out and folding to a raise, or check calling and then leading turn and folding to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

the first makes some sense, but my issue with the second is he's so short stacked, the same thing will happen. i'll end up putting so much in that i'll be committed to the pot. but bet-fold seems pretty effective. how do short stacks typically respond to this? are they more conservative, or are htey more eager to shove it all in? obviously it depends on the player but do they have a specific tendency?
Old 05-16-2006, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a c/r on the flop basically shuts out all hands you beat, except for a few that are probably drawing very live.

consider c/calling flop. easiest play would be to lead it, but i like c/calling here bettter

[/ QUOTE ]

ok so i check call flop and the pot is 90. he has 165 left. do i now check-fold?
Old 05-16-2006, 01:09 PM

I'm not sure about what the shorties are like at the 600, but I usually find once a player with a third of a stack raises preflop and then get action on the flop they are going to the felt with AK high. The only thing to be wary of here is the minraise. It indicates he wants some callers. This means he probably has a mid to high PP. I think bet folding is correct here.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually find once a player with a third of a stack raises preflop and then get action on the flop they are going to the felt with AK high.

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't that a reason to call preflop?

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing to be wary of here is the minraise

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think much of the minraise. some people just habitually do it. i guess i should start noticing what people usually raise