Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2006, 08:38 PM

Default Expected value and when to call or raise.

I was wondering if there is any general rule when to call or bet for value.

some cases are clear cut like when you have a 40% pot equity and 5 opponents, but where is the line of when you raise or call?

especially if you are first to act ... for example you are first to act at the turn with a nut flush draw and know will lose if you dont hit the flush. How many players should be in the pot for you to bet?? I know im leaving out a bunch of relevent details but im trying to simplify .. but maybe it cant be simplified, can you make any assumptions about how many players are likely to stay in the pot without knowing the previous detials of the hand, like pot size, etc.)
Old 05-21-2006, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Expected value and when to call or raise.

When you are on a draw, pot odds and implied odds are your only real guide if you choose to make a "correct play".In the above example, 99% of the time in NL you aren't going to get proper odds from the pot to pursue your flush. (In limit it's a little better chance becuase you can check call if nobody raises). So you go to your implied odds (can you get enough out of an opponent after you make your hand) to get 4:1 on your money. Most people won't pay off a flush. Straights are more likely to get paid. So my rule of thumb for you, don't draw out of position. Value bets are for when you are reasonably confident you are ahead at the time.