Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2006, 03:40 PM

Default You\'re busto. Grind out smaller limits or get a job?

Let's say you're used to playing 2/4 comfortably with about $1,200. You withdraw half for an emergency, keep playing the same levels, hit a bad streak, and then lose the rest trying to recoup your losses playing higher.

Assuming you don't plan to make these bankroll mistakes again, and wish to get back to your 2/4 limit, do you deposit $200 and try to microgrind until you get back up, or just work some more hours at a real job until you have the bankroll?
Old 05-15-2006, 03:46 PM

Default Re: You\'re busto. Grind out smaller limits or get a job?

If the explicit goal is to get enough of a bankroll to play 2/4, then do whichever is faster.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:49 PM

It'd probably take about 4 weeks working the job. But playing microlimits might get so boring that I'd just waste it on a tournament or something. I know I can play disciplined at 2/4 (despite the withdraw thing that messed everything up), I'm not sure if I'd just be pissing it away playing microlimits though.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:51 PM

I rethink my decision since I tilted off a lot of money playing above 2/4 to recoup my losses. That is a VERY bad sign, and does not bode well especially now that every site seems to be offering pit games, too.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I rethink my decision since I tilted off a lot of money playing above 2/4 to recoup my losses. That is a VERY bad sign, and does not bode well especially now that every site seems to be offering pit games, too.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the problem is after making a hefty withdrawal, I was really playing out of my comfort zone, and also didn't drop down in limits accordingly.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:06 PM

Get the real job...and keep it. Despite making good money from poker recently, I still make a good deal from a productive job. It is nice to have both fixed and variable income. Even my real job has both fixed and variable income. BTW, you are unlikely to make a comfortable living playing 2/4. Even at a rate of 3BB/hr you have a crappy income (sorry to break the news).
Old 05-15-2006, 04:08 PM

Assuming you know for sure your winrate in 2/4, aren't going to repeat these mistakes, and are doing this as your sole source of income, you simply do whichever is faster, which obviously depends on both your poker and non-poker skills. Better yet, find a job that will let you play at work. Even better reconsider why you're playing 2/4 as your only source of income.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get the real job...and keep it. Despite making good money from poker recently, I still make a good deal from a productive job. It is nice to have both fixed and variable income. Even my real job has both fixed and variable income. BTW, you are unlikely to make a comfortable living playing 2/4. Even at a rate of 3BB/hr you have a crappy income (sorry to break the news).

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a job as a waiter right now, which is a really flexible schedule, so technically I guess I should have said "work more" than "get a job". I'm sure 3BB/hr pales to most normal jobs, but I don't have much of a formal education.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:14 PM

If you're comfortable at 2/4 w/1200, and you take out half, wouldn't you have then been comfortable at 1/2 w/600?
Old 05-15-2006, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're comfortable at 2/4 w/1200, and you take out half, wouldn't you have then been comfortable at 1/2 w/600?

[/ QUOTE ]
I know, that was the biggest mistake, not dropping down in limits.