Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2006, 07:49 AM

Default Bankroll question

In the span of 2 months I have run my 100$ initial deposit up to almost $1K. I am currently playing at $.50/$1 short-handed limit and do not feel ready to step up to $1/$2 quite yet (I will most likely at least dabble with it in the next few weeks).

I have not yet made any withdrawls from my bankroll, but am wondering what my plan should be. If I forsee myself playing $1/$2 at most for the foreseeable future (next 3 months), then I don't really need an active bankroll of more than $600 (say $1K taking multitabling and/or a serious losing streak in to account.

So my current plan of action would be to withdraw any winnings over my $1K and use it to pay down some debt that I have. Does anyone see a problem with this? Barring moving up limits sooner is there a reason to be sitting on a larger bankroll? Anything else I should be aware of/planning for?

Does anyone have any good links for bankroll thoughts? Not so much planning in terms of making sure one always has enough for the level one is playing (I go with 300BB and am willing to step down if that became necessary), but when does one withdraw and when does one build bankroll?

Any strategies or thoughts to share?

Thanks!

Onnel

P.S. Obviously, the aforementioned planned bankroll is only sufficiant for playing at one site at any given time. Thoughts on this?
Old 05-15-2006, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Bankroll question

There's nothing wrong with taking money from your bankroll to live on as long as you're not shorting your bankroll or causing yourself to play scared because your bankroll is smaller than you're comfortable with. If your poker goal is to make a little extra income to help defray your debts, then by all means, do it.

[ QUOTE ]

P.S. Obviously, the aforementioned planned bankroll is only sufficiant for playing at one site at any given time. Thoughts on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bankroll's bankroll. The only problem with spreading it across multiple sites is the logistics of moving it from one site to another if you end up short somewhere.

Regards,

T
Old 05-15-2006, 11:22 AM

You don't need more money to multitable unless this cuts your win rate.

I recommend trying other sites while collecting bonuses. You can clear many bonuses while playing $0.50-$1. Try moving up to $1-$2, too. Many bonuses are so generous that they will double your win rate or more.

300 BB is a reasonable bankroll if your win rate is good and you don't withdraw. If you are withdrawing money, you need to take that out of your win rate, and the result might be that 300 BB is not enough because of your withdrawals.

I think it is reasonable to withdraw a fraction of your winnings. You might withdraw 1/2 of what you win above 400 BB, and 2/3 of what you win above 600 BB, 3/4 of what you win above 800 BB, etc. This gives you an increasing cushion so that when you finally hit a 300 BB downswing, you will probably have much more than 300 BB.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the insight. I definitely like the idea of say 1/2 of everything above 400 BB, etc. I can do it once at the end of each month based on where I am in comparison to my cushion.

Great thoughts and thanks as always!

Onnel