Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2006, 03:57 AM

Default bb vs a maniac opening...

live 9/18 game

villain here is a drunk maniac...will open with anything and bet to the river with anything, but will also give endless action with nothing incluidng calling bets with J hi and similar, so he is probably never folding A/K hi heads up...

Hero is BB with QhJh

Preflop: villain opens on the button, folded to Hero who calls...

Flop: 5 2 5 with one heart (2 players, 4sb)

what is my plan for the hand?
Old 05-15-2006, 04:10 AM

Default Re: bb vs a maniac opening...

Pokerstove gives you 47% equity, so call down and start raising if you hit a pair. I'm not sure how many bets you need to be putting in, but if he gives you endless action with nothing, I think you need to be putting him all in if you hit.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:23 AM

check/call the flop. Check-fold the turn unimproved.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:34 AM

chickenbeaks, do you really think i should be calling this guy down every time i have Q hi?

is it worth spending 3.5bb each time he tries to steal my big blind? or should i just give up and wait till i hit and get a bunch of bets?
Old 05-15-2006, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
chickenbeaks, do you really think i should be calling this guy down every time i have Q hi?

is it worth spending 3.5bb each time he tries to steal my big blind? or should i just give up and wait till i hit and get a bunch of bets?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think chicken is a little too optimisic here, all you have is Queen high, theres not much you can do. You will have plenty of other chances to slug it out with a maniac when you have a better hand than Queen high, wait til then before you bring out the gloves. If you go past the turn with this hand unimproved youre giving the maniac too much action.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:40 AM

It costs you 2.5 BB to call down in a 2.25 BB pot at a slight disadvantage, but it sounds like you can make a lot of money if you hit. Preflop, you're 60/40 over a random hand, so you need to see the flop and probably end up calling down.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:44 AM

If this guy is really going to bet 84 all the way, then isn't it slightly profitable to call down?
Old 05-15-2006, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If this guy is really going to bet 84 all the way, then isn't it slightly profitable to call down?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see where your coming from chicken, but the OP said this guy "will open with anything". He didnt say this guy will open every time on the BTN. Theres a big difference between these two statements. Im not convinced the Maniacs hand is purely random here. I think its better to play it safe and fold our Queen high on the turn unimproved. I can see that in an extreme scenario that calling down with Queen high can have some merit, but im not sure this situation qualifies.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:58 AM

sorry i wasn't completely clear...i think that maniac will open any two cards here...

i might as well add that he is also able to get away from hand with absolutely no value if he is facing a bet, but will bluff if he has faced no resistance...

here is an example hand...maniac opens in CO, i 3bet button with ATs...he caps, i call...flop: QQT, he bets, i raise, he calls...turn: J, he bets, i call...river: 2, he bets, i call...he has 97o...
Old 05-15-2006, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry i wasn't completely clear...i think that maniac will open any two cards here...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well chicken may have some valid points here, but I just cant bring myself to call down with queen high even if it may be the right play. I would still check/call the flop and fold the turn unimproved for better or for worse.