Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2006, 01:09 PM

Default We will go to war with Iran

Sounds familiar? Sourced from the UK liberal rag, The Independent.

IRAQ

WMD
Signatory of Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty accused of holding weapons of mass destruction including a nuclear arms programme. UN weapons inspectors were expelled from the country on the eve of the 2003 war.

CONCEALMENT
Confirmed to UN in 1995 that it had a clandestine nuclear weapons scheme following revelations by Saddam Hussein's brother-in-law who had defected. Before 2003 invasion, regime was accused of concealing WMD from UN inspectors.

MISCALCULATION
Colin Powell, US Secretary of State, 5 March 2003: "It serves the interest of no one for Saddam to miscalculate. It doesn't serve the interest of the United States or the world or Iraq for Saddam to miscalculate our intention or our willingness to act."

SECURITY COUNCIL
November 2002: Iraq threatened with military action unless it co-operates with UN inspectors. US leads invasion without Security Council backing.

IRAN

WMD
Signatory of Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty accused of working on nuclear weapons programme. UN weapons inspectors are at work in the country.

CONCEALMENT
Confirmed to UN in 2002 that it had a clandestine nuclear programme after revelations by Iranian dissidents. Iran was accused by Britain, France and Germany yesterday of "concealment and deception".

MISCALCULATION
White House spokesman Scott McClellan, 11 January, 2006: "The Iranian regime has made a serious miscalculation.If negotiations have run their course and Iran is not going to negotiate in good faith, then there's no other option but to refer the matter to the Security Council."

SECURITY COUNCIL
12 January 2006: Britain, France and Germany call for Iran to be referred to the UN Security Council for possible sanctions. Failure to reach agreement could give US hawks - and Israel - an excuse for unilateral military action.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:20 PM

Default Re: We will go to war with Iran

Personaly I think Iran is a much better situation for millitary action than Iraq ever was. I think they present a greater WMD threat (although some of this may be results oriented thinking w/ regards to Iraqs lack of weapons), their government is much more closely tied to the extremist Islamist movment, their seems to be considerably more international support, and my sense is the people are more prepared to handle democratic institutions in Iran as they have fewer ethnic tensions, a stronger natinoal identity, and probably an antigovernment inspired bias against overt religiosity (this is mostly just from a friend who has spent alot of his life in Iran). I am not an expert on any of this and would appreciate comments from more informed people, but I think it is a shame that we are so committed to Iraq than an invasion in Iran is largely out of the question in the short term (unless Europe would really step up???). Poor hand selection, i suppose, as was stated in another thread.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:26 PM

At the UN, Iran supported a resolution banning all WMD from the Mid East region. Guess who vetoed it...
Old 01-13-2006, 04:51 PM

I think it is very possible that we would consider engaging in a limited war with Iran, similar to the Vietnam war. In this case, Iraq would assume the role of South Vietnam (base of operations) with Iran in the role of North Vietnam. Then the bombing would begin, with no ground troops crossing the border. And...in this case...I think it might actually produce the desired results. Often, military ideas that failed in the past need to be revisited due to changing circumstances. Hopefully, we are smart enough to know that.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:56 PM

^^^How would this effect our support in Iraq?^^^
Old 01-13-2006, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
limited war ...

[/ QUOTE ]
???
Never again. Unless, of course, Democrats regain control. But that's not really limited war, it's just confusion.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never again. Unless, of course, Democrats regain control. But that's not really limited war, it's just confusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you ever leave your imaginary world of partisan stereotypes?
Old 01-13-2006, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personaly I think Iran is a much better situation for millitary action than Iraq ever was. I think they present a greater WMD threat (although some of this may be results oriented thinking w/ regards to Iraqs lack of weapons), their government is much more closely tied to the extremist Islamist movment, their seems to be considerably more international support, and my sense is the people are more prepared to handle democratic institutions in Iran as they have fewer ethnic tensions, a stronger natinoal identity, and probably an antigovernment inspired bias against overt religiosity (this is mostly just from a friend who has spent alot of his life in Iran). I am not an expert on any of this and would appreciate comments from more informed people, but I think it is a shame that we are so committed to Iraq than an invasion in Iran is largely out of the question in the short term (unless Europe would really step up???). Poor hand selection, i suppose, as was stated in another thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
In Iraq, Saddam held power as a classic tyrant. He ruthlessly suppressed any dissent, killing the entire extended family of anyone who opposed him. Before the invasion, it was plausible that most people wanted him gone but couldn't do anything about it.

Iran's government was formed 25 years ago in a popular revolt against a dictator who was propped up by the US. Their system of government certainly has lots of anti-democratic elements, and they are far from allowing free speech. However, they do hold elections for the Presidency and parliament on a regular basis, which allows us to infer what the people there are thinking. In the most recent election, the "reformist" candidate lost badly (3rd place), and the more conservative, religious one was elected. That's not a result that tells me Iranians are yearning to breathe free of Islam fundamentalism.

If we invade, there might be some temporary support from parts of the population that really dislike the current government. That would change in about 5 minutes, when they decide they hate US troops even more than the ayatollahs.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is very possible that we would consider engaging in a limited war with Iran, similar to the Vietnam war. In this case, Iraq would assume the role of South Vietnam (base of operations) with Iran in the role of North Vietnam. Then the bombing would begin, with no ground troops crossing the border. And...in this case...I think it might actually produce the desired results. Often, military ideas that failed in the past need to be revisited due to changing circumstances. Hopefully, we are smart enough to know that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fascist.

q/q
Old 01-13-2006, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you ever leave your imaginary world of partisan stereotypes?

[/ QUOTE ]
Stereotypes are +EV.