Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2006, 11:16 AM

Default Video card for Dell 2001FP?

Hey folks,
I want to be able to 8table 6-max NL Cashgames without overlap. It seems most people use two Dell2001FPs. I have some questions, what I have to buy to make this work. The one person who picks my final "ingredients" will get 10$ from me.

a) Are two Dell 2001FP best for 8tabling or should I go for a single, bigger monitor?

b) It seems for two Dells to work, I need to change my video card. At the moment I have:

- nVidia Gefore FX 5200, video card: ASUS V9520 Magic

Motherboard:
- ASUS A7N8X 2.0
Motherboard chipset: nVidia nForce2 Ultra400
Motherboard slots: 5x PCI, 1x AGP 3.0

As you can probably see, I dont have any idea what this stuf f means. Do I need a new video card, I read something about Dual-DVI stuff? Will it work with my motherboard?

I want the parts to be not too expensive, because I only use my computer for Poker. No gaming, no videos etc...
Old 01-13-2006, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Video card for Dell 2001FP?

I just saw that my video card seems to have 3 outgoing ports:
- 1 VGA
- 1 S-Video OUT
- 1 Video Out (Chinch)

Is that already enough to run 2 Dell 2001 FP?
Old 01-13-2006, 11:55 AM

Most people recomend that if you are going to be using two 2001fp that you should get a card with dual DVI because DVI is superior to VGA(I looks better?. I would guess you could search it on ebay and find a cheap 128MB video card with dual DVI for under 60 bucks. If you want to make it even chear you can get a card that has 1 VGA and 1 DVI because the 2001fp can be hooked up with vga as well.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:34 PM

I am not sure whether your video card currently will support dual monitors, but I can tell you that you do not need dual DVI.

I currently am using dual 2001FP, with one DVI and one VGA, and the difference is very small. I think it matters only for gaming really, not poker.

Almost all video cards sold now will be dual monitor compatible. Usually one DVI slot, one VGA.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:38 PM

dont get a ATI Fire GL4. it has dual DVI ports but wont let you have the resolution you need...
Old 01-13-2006, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure whether your video card currently will support dual monitors

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any way to check this out? Like I said I have
- 1 VGA
- 1 S-Video Out
- 1 Video (Clinch)

At the Dell website I found:

Video Input: Analog RGB, Digital DVI-D TMDS, S-Video, Composite Video

However I dont know if this means VGA + S-Video will work with 2-monitor setup.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:16 PM

Your card will not support 2 monitors, you have a s-video out and a VGA out. So it would do one TV and a VGA connection, which could be a regular CRT monitor, or a flat screen with the blue VGA input (which most have anyway).

So to go with the 2 2001FP you will need a new video card. As was stated above you could get either a dual DVI (2 white connectors) or a DVI+VGA card (one white and one blue). I would think that like was said before, that you can hook up the second 2001FP to a VGA connection, but if you're going to buy a new video card anyway, might as well go with the dual DVI connectors.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150086

This one is a 6600 or any of the 6600gt with the dual DVI would work well for you.

If you want this to be as easy as you can make it, buy another card with a nVidia chip, you can just swap them out. No need to change the drivers. I would goto the nVidia site and update your drivers at some point, but not necessary for the install.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:22 PM

I hate to whore this out, but I have an AGP GeForce 6600 if your board is AGP specified, and I'm willing to sell lower than the Dell price.

That card, however, should run the dual-monitor setup correctly. Could you take a picture or provide the Service Tag so we can look it up on Dell.com?
Old 01-13-2006, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150086

This one is a 6600 or any of the 6600gt with the dual DVI would work well for you.

If you want this to be as easy as you can make it, buy another card with a nVidia chip, you can just swap them out. No need to change the drivers. I would goto the nVidia site and update your drivers at some point, but not necessary for the install.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all thx for your help. I have a question for you though, video cards of this type seem to go for 100-150$ regularly. I checked what my current video card would be worth and it is 50$, and I do not need a better card, just these DVI slots. Do you think there is a cheaper alternative out there, considering I only need onlinepoker + normal computer use?