Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2006, 03:37 AM

Default Party .5/1 Slow Play Gone Scary!!??!??!

No reads on the pre-flop raiser, i thought i'd slow play and raise on the river to get the most bets, any thoughts???

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 05-12-2006, 03:43 AM

Default Re: Party .5/1 Slow Play Gone Scary!!??!??!

[ QUOTE ]
MP2 bets, Hero calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: MP2 bets, Hero calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:47 AM

lol worst play ever

SAVE THE MICROSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Old 05-12-2006, 03:51 AM

that is disgusting...

slow-playing (which is seldom a good idea) infers that you will forgo bets on early streets to gain more bets on later streets.... i dont see you trying to gain more bets... if you slow down with the nut flush as soon as the board pairs you are playing very very scared poker.

i can accept the trap on the flop, but please raise the turn.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that is disgusting...

slow-playing (which is seldom a good idea) infers that you will forgo bets on early streets to gain more bets on later streets.... i dont see you trying to gain more bets... if you slow down with the nut flush as soon as the board pairs you are playing very very scared poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you snitch i appreciate the elaboration instead of just calling this the worst play ever
Old 05-12-2006, 07:09 AM

Just calling on the flop was not that bad - he's betting into you so you call in anticipation he will bet again on the turn when it's big bet time but you got to be raising (and capping if re-raised) on the turn and river.

The flop call would be ideal if you had players to act after you - you don't want to hit them with 2 cold bets on the flop - bring them along for one. Just heads up it's foregoing one small bet for a reasonable chance for two. Debatable, certainly not fatal. Don't spend much time on that part of the analysis. It's the turn and river play where you can make a major gain here.

As far as the possible scary KK on the turn and river, you need to get past that. It is rare that you can't dream up two cards your opponent might have that beat you but that isn't what limit poker is about. It's about odds odds odds over the long long long haul. In this situation, you are playing one opponent. At the river, do you think you will have the best hand more than 50% of the time at showdown? It is an obvious yes. So raise. Over the bazillion hands you hope to play in your poker career you will make money on this one even if occasionally you get burned and lay awake at night thinking of that full house the villain got on the river and you capped right into it. Your mentality needs to be - if for the rest of my life I am faced with this exact situation and my opponent has this range of cards in my estimation, what is the best play to make money? This is very different from - I can dream up two cards that beat me so I am just calling. You are leaving a LOT LOT LOT of money on the table. You need to make that money to cover the times when you do get the bad beat [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Which will seem like all the time as you get better hehe.

If you had a low flush here and got re-raised probably just call but with the nut flush you can beat anything but a full house and your opponent could re-raise you with a worse flush, 3 Kings, or maybe even two pair. So not only should you be raising the turn and river, you should cap if given the chance!
Old 05-12-2006, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that is disgusting...

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you snitch i appreciate the elaboration instead of just calling this the worst play ever

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with snitch. Calling the flop isn't too bad but you gotta raise to get that extra BB on the turn or else why slow play? What sucks about this board though is when you raise the turn and he calls, then the second king comes out, he CR's and gets the extra bet out of you (ouch) but you can't see the future.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:51 AM

ok i realized i made a mistake here in this play, but i would like some rationale behind why i shouldn't slow play this HU and what i should do instead and why, i don't appreciate people just making fun of me and not explaining what i did wrong...

if i didn't think i did anything wrong i wouldn't post this

and if i wanted to be made fun of without learning anything i would post this either..

please explain and elaborate on these comments....

thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2006, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol worst play ever

SAVE THE MICROSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

[/ QUOTE ]

This is totally unproductive and inappropriate.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:46 AM

Raise.

You can apply this to multiple streets. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]