Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2006, 09:05 AM

Default QQ WPT day 1 hand.. . too weak?

Will listen to all comments on this hand flame away if you like but just trying to get as many poker players views on this hand as possible.

Ok here goes. From memory so may not all my accurate and correct apologies if this is the case.

Level 2 of the WPT PCA started the tournie with 10k in chips and we are currently at level 2 with blinds of 100 - 200.

Hero has 13k

Villain (MP1)for the hand 11k

Villain(CO) has 25k

hero has won the blinds in the last two hands raising with KK and AK (to 600 and 800) respectively. I've been relatively quiet previous to this hand and had only shown down AK for TPTK which was chopped with another player.

Rest of the chips had came from well placed bets etc.

Hero now finds Black Queens UTG and raises once more to 800.

UTG+1 folds
MP1 calls. (villain)
Folds to the CO who calls.
we are 3 to a flop with a pot of 2700.

Backgrounds to the two players. UTG+2 Is dutch(pro?) and has been getting interviewed by some guy what seems like every 10-15 mins for a chip count. He's been very tight entering few pots.

CO has been in almost every pot i can remember back he got most of his chips flopping the nut flush with AQ v KK if he doesnt hit or is facing heat he's usually gone.

Flop is a 2s4h6c and i fire out 2000after thinking for maybe 5-10 seconds.

Dutch guy looks at me then my stack and minraises to 4k CO folds.

Now i dont think i can give it up here theres two hands that a tight player can have that can beat me AA and KK... i can possibly throw in 66 as a great way of stacking players in these deep stack events is with sets.

I call and the turn is the 5h.

Now the minraise has scared me couple that with his tight image and i feel im behind here.. I should maybe check fold if im happy with my read but i fire out 2500.. Villain again looks at my stack and pushes allin... if my memory serves me right its about 6k more to me and i think for a while and fold them face up Villain looked surprised / a bit miffed and didnt show.

Folding id left myself with about 6k and was able to double up plus change in the next level when AK pushed into me holding AA so it wasn't by any means a hand which led to my exit.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:59 AM

Default Re: QQ WPT day 1 hand.. . too weak?

so did you ever show the kk or ak?

if not they see you as pushing to steal blinds on each rotation. i'd then put villain on any pair AT or up, prob KQs. I really dont think AA or KK as he didnt raise your bet.

now the tricky play is post flop. he could easily view your bet as a continuation bet with two overs to take the pot there as most likely the flop didnt hit anyone.

its either he's playing what he thinks you have and pushing you around based on your rep with two overs or he's got an overpair but i really really doubt aa or kk. just dont see him giving you a flop free as he'd go broke if you hit your set

so im thinking he prob has 66 - jj, at or up. I push him back all in and if he has aa or kk i grab a beer
Old 01-13-2006, 11:33 AM

22, 33, 66....perhaps to mix it up.....if he was miffed....as u say...then he was probably hoping to stack u.......no reason to go all in under those circumstances.... the blinds were still pretty low so stealing blinds was not a priority at that point so I doubt he'd be playing back at you based on that....77-JJ is another possibility....but a player wouldn't act be disappointed if someone folds a better hand like that....so I'd say 70% set, 20% overpair, 10% bluff with overcards or complete bluff....
Old 01-13-2006, 12:22 PM

I'm curious about your bet on the flop. Pot was $2700. Why not a more standard 1/2 pot bet here. Seems like you got yourself in trouble with the big bet. If you bet 1400 and he raises to 2800, you'd have 1200 fewer chips in the pot going to the turn. Not that it's a bad play, but just interested in your philosophy on the flop bet here. I'm guessing with 2 other players you didn't want 2 calls?
Old 01-13-2006, 12:39 PM

Sounds like a good lay down to me. I think he has a set here. He's been playing tight all day, why would he all the sudden wake up here and risk his tourney running a bluff against an EP raiser? He expects you to have a big pair here and to stack you. Most people are miffed trying to hide there expression that you made a good laydown.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:49 PM

Nice lay-down, sir. His hand was good & he wanted to stack you.