Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2006, 12:24 PM

Default Pool cues

I'm looking to get a US 9-ball pool table (though I live in the UK) and am looking to buy a pool cue right now. I'm thinking of Predator? Any thoughts?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Pool cues

How much do you want to spend? Do you care what it looks like? (Predators look like ass, and you can buy Predator shafts for almost any production cue made).

[brag]That said, I play with a one-of-a-kind Richard Black.[/brag]

(edit: check out billiardwarehouse.com to see all kind of cues, and you can sort by price range)
Old 05-10-2006, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much do you want to spend? Do you care what it looks like? (Predators look like ass, and you can buy Predator shafts for almost any production cue made).

[brag]That said, I play with a one-of-a-kind Richard Black.[/brag]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm prepared to spend a fair bit, assuming the extra cash is worth it. Maybe £300 is OK for me, maybe more (that's $500+). Then again, if the extra money is just for a fancy looking shaft then maybe I'd get a cheaper one.

Then there are those funny tips. Mouri? We play snooker in the UK mainly, or pool on smaller tables (with lighter balls) so I've never seen them.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:38 PM

It's moori. I don't care for layered tips. I like water buffalo tips.

$500 should get you a nice enough cue - you mostly pay for the inlay work on the butt. Get a leather wrap instead of linen. Try a McDermott in your price range (including the cost of the Pred. shaft), or get a low end Scon.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:39 PM

You will either love or hate the predator shaft. I love it, and many others do as well. See if you can try someone's out for a little. The hit/action/deflection/etc is definitely distinct and will take some time getting used to.

I'd also recommend looking for joerackem's ebay store as he sells lots of products at great prices and has excellent scores.

As far as the tip goes, a medium-hard moori would be great, but again, it comes down to personal preference. Best thing you can do is just try others and go from there.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:42 PM

I am not a huge fan of predators. I think they are a lot of money for what you get. I have a predator shaft for a cheap production cue I have but find I use the regular shaft instead of the predator. If I were to buy an American made production cue right now today sight unseen I would buy a Schon or a Joss. I don't own either so take it for what it is worth. I have hit with josses. I have owned various other production and custom cues and have hit with other brands. Not as many as others have I am sure.

If I were to buy a production cue made outside of the US I would get something made by Competition Sports - Adams/Helmstetter/Hall of Fame. Billiard Warehouse carries these as well as other productin cues. Maybe the two best production cues I ever had were a helmstetter carom cue and a cheap adams pool cue. Stupidly got rid of both. Lucasis can be decent. I have one - the one with a predator shaft - I picked up cheap and it is fair. Quality is fair, the wrap isn't very good.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you might think about a custom. Better quality if you go higher end and more pride in ownership. Often better resale value, sometimes collectible and valuable. But they can be hit and miss if you go with a new or unknown maker. I guess what I wouldn't do is get a very expensive production - i.e. a 2000 schon, or a cheap custom from a new maker. If you are going to spend a lot get something really good.

For a good consistent product made int he US designed to play pool it is hard to go too far wrong with a schon or a Joss.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:58 PM

I have a Joss that I'm pretty happy with.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:19 PM

I really should take the time to become better at pool. I feel very comfortable shooting with either hand. This seems to intimidate some opposing players at first, until they realize that I don't have a clue on what I'm doing...
Old 05-10-2006, 01:55 PM

I got a custom made sneaky pete for a pretty good price. There are cuemakers out there that will fashion one to your specs. If you are willing to spend money, that might be a way to go.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:28 PM

I like the predator shaft a lot, and have a second rate production cue. There are many different custom cue manufacturers that produce some quality stuff. Make friends with players and try out their stuff. See what feels right to you.

~D