Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2006, 11:07 AM

Default Growing pains. NL 50 more aggressive than NL 25?

I'm not doing quite so well in my move to NL 50. The aggression level seems to be twice that of NL25. I find that I'm getting pushed off decent hands way to easily, and then I'm overcompensating by pushing harder in other spots and losing money. I'm really off my game.

I've found people way more willing to take a stab at raising a possible flop c-bet with any piece of the board. I've laid down a decent hands like mid pocket pairs, on a board with a single overcard and been shown all kinds of crap. I've been hesitant to 3 bet the flop with things like TP, but maybe I should get more aggressive here? Or maybe less aggressive with my c-bets(I'm c-betting 80% when heads up).

Floating attempts seem to be met with resistance as well. I've made a few decent reads, but was unable to move someone off a mid pair or similar. I don't float often, and because of this I found that it worked a high percentage of the time at NL 25. So far my opponents have read me well, and pwnd me.

My terrible play along with a dry card run and I'm hurting here. I feel really lost here, and my confidence is pretty much gone. My bankroll is ok for now, I am properly rolled for 50, but I'll probably move down if I can't get back on track.

Advice is always appreciated.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Growing pains. NL 50 more aggressive than NL 25?

Every level is more aggressive than the last.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:28 AM

Adjustment is the key. If your playing against Lagtards, the best adjustment is not to c-bet less, but to raise preflop less. I ussually play around a 32/15 style, but when i'm at a table of "unbluffables" i just play 22/7 and get paid off with my good hands.

Also keep in mind its easy to confuse someone who catches a couple good flops with someone pushing you around.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:28 AM

If you were consistantly winning at 25 I would move back and build my confidence. Next time you want to take a stab at 50 again I would slow down. Pay attention to how the others are playing and play VERY tight. Tighter than you normally do to dominate the 25 games. Once you get some reads on those you are playing with then you can start messing around. I suggest patience at first when moving up to establish a comfort level. Once it is established and you have a few winning sessions you should be on your way.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Every level is more aggressive than the last.

[/ QUOTE ]

ANd more difficult.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:43 AM

have a read of this thread it might help you regain a little lost confidence and add a new dimension to your game...

Variance can strike at any time - I think I'm OK at this poker malarkey and I just had 3 back to back losing months (thank you variance) - when things are going bad it's hard to play well - my play went badly downhill when I wasn't getting any good luck which made my results worse - which made me play worse and so on. It's not a good place to be in.