Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2006, 06:43 AM

Default How to have them enjoy losing to me

I've been playing a home game at my brothers friends house that my brother and I very consistently win. Unless theres a bad beat its usually my brother and I in 1st and 2nd, we are not playing as a team or anything (I've taught my bro how to play, Im proud of that [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ). This is not a brag post, I know I'm not Gods gift to poker. The other players are just really bad, which is why I have to play this crazy soft game. The host has even tried adding more varience to the game:
- Blinds go up every 8 minutes (we play multiple turneys)
- Making the tables 6max
- Starting stacks are 50BB

Its clearly annoying them (they hint at it sometimes), so I need to know of any thing you guys do to liven up the mood or anything like that. Im considering playing like a donk so I start losing a bit. Everytime after a night that has gone my way, which is often, we dont get invited back to that game in like a month. Any ideas?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:15 AM

Default Re: How to have them enjoy losing to me

Why not start teaching THEM to play better? That will force you to improve your game, which won't hurt, and they need to win some or you'll be dropped from the list.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:19 PM

I've tried that with some of my friends, but they don't take to it. They call you a poker nerd, laugh at your knowledge of poker terms, and continue to play poorly. Hell, in one of the games I used to play at I got bitched out for raising/folding preflop. Most of these people don't want to get better, they just want to gamble. If they're not really your friends, just beat them. If they are... well, you have to make a decision between money and friends. I'd use it as a time to try different styles.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:45 PM

Just donk away maybe 1 out of every 4 or 5 games so they think they have a chance. Or bring beer for everyone. I would play against someone I knew was going to beat me if he brought me free beer.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:48 PM

The free beer "technique" has already been tried, they only care about the wins, because they always say things like "... like that time you won 3 out of 4 tournaments in one night ...", which was ages ago (well, about 5 months ago)

Teaching them to play might keep me getting invited, but teaching fishes how to not be fishy is something I definatly do not want to do. However I do want/need to improve my game, which would come about by my teaching them to play better.. I will have to think about this one.

I think donking 1 in 5 games might work, but I have been thinking about some things to do in the games that I've decided to try to win:
- Only looking at one of the two cards and declaring this (it's hold'em btw [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
- Asking someone to point at the one card that I should look at.
- Not looking at my cards at all. (I do this sometimes, will do more often, its probably good for reading people..)
- Declare that I will be bluffing in the X number of upcoming hands
- Deliberatly start min-raising wars with air and, if possible, showing the air.
- Do advanced chip-tricks mid-game and try to teach them to anyone who wants to learn
- Actually make a big bluff, act surprised and tilted when the calling-stations call, get to showdown cheaply (I dont usually bluff them, they are total calling-stations)

If anyone wants to add to the list do so, I will be field-testing these little tricks and will hopefully remember to report if all went well here (its gonna be a while though, got exams and stuff...). These guys at the perticular home game that Im talking about aren't really friends, so I don't really care about not getting in on the game much, but its free money and having my opponents enjoy giving me their money is a damn good skill to have [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2006, 05:13 PM

I wouldn't do anything on your list.
[ QUOTE ]
- Only looking at one of the two cards and declaring this (it's hold'em btw )

[/ QUOTE ]
Its rubbing it into them

[ QUOTE ]
- Asking someone to point at the one card that I should look at.

[/ QUOTE ] Still rubing it in

[ QUOTE ]
- Declare that I will be bluffing in the X number of upcoming hands

[/ QUOTE ]
Still rubing their noses into it

[ QUOTE ]
Deliberatly start min-raising wars with air and, if possible, showing the air.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe its okay

[ QUOTE ]
Do advanced chip-tricks mid-game and try to teach them to anyone who wants to learn

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats that got to do with playing good poker?

If it were me, I would skip one game in 5, let them play amoung themselves. The winner will feel really good about winning without thinking someones tossing the game.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These guys at the perticular home game that Im talking about aren't really friends, so I don't really care about not getting in on the game much, but its free money and having my opponents enjoy giving me their money is a damn good skill to have [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm with DavidNB that handicapping yourself, and letting everyone know about it is a bad approach to this. If you really don't care how often you play, I wouldn't be too concerned about dumbing down your own game to get invited back, and would probably spend that time trying to find a better game where you could improve more.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
teaching fishes how to not be fishy is something I definatly do not want to do.

[/ QUOTE ]It's not like you'd be teaching the internet how to play better. Are these the only people you ever play poker with?

For me a home game is much more about fun than building a bankroll. I've been teaching the guys at my office how to play better and I still win more than my fair share. I think it's pretty hard to teach someone to be better than you anwyway . . .

I'd definitely NOT be public about handicapping yourself. This just comes across as arrogant.

I recently got invited to a game with some guys from another division in our company and won 3 out of 4 tournaments- they did NOT invite me back. I think I should have taken a dive in that last game. I just can't bring myself to intentionally play badly (I seem to do enough of that unintentionally anyway).
Old 05-11-2006, 10:33 AM

Use your winnings to get a stripper for the next game.

-J
Old 05-11-2006, 04:59 PM

This is an easy fix - been there myself. Put a "bounty" on yourself! Take a portion of the pot (5% or 10% perhaps) and award it to the player who knocks you out! We have a weekly tourney at my home and if anyone wins three weeks in a row we put the bounty on em'.

It give folks an opportunity to get back at you (in their minds at least) and you can still finish second or third! It will definately improve your game as everyone attacks you!

Good luck!