Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2006, 10:26 PM

Default of bluffs and cont bets

Sometimes I bluff in the wrong spots. Sometimes I bluff in the right ones. Please help me tell the diff. (Assume generally weak/passive party 1/2 players unless otherwise stated)

1)This first one I have a big pot, initiative, a hand to rep, and a good shot at getting folds. The problem is that a lot of guys have incentive to peel in a pot this size, and well, there are a lot of them and I have air.

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $1/$2
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Guruman is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Guruman raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (8SB, 4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman bets with three left to act...</font>

2)HU in an unraised pot. I could just check/fold here, but this kind of flop misses a limper very frequently. Also, gaybets get undue cred in these spots and villains can release a wide range since there aren’t even odds to draw to the flush here. Pot too small to bother?

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
4 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (4 players) Guruman is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, Button calls, SB folds, Guruman checks.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2.5SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Guruman bets in a small pot…</font>

3) I plan on giving up the ruse after my flop cont gets called. This villain appears to have given up immediately after I did though, so should I try to force out some UI big cards?

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
4 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (4 players) Guruman is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2 folds, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman raises</font>, SB calls.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2SB, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2BB, 2 players)
SB checks, Guruman checks.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2BB, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman bets because villain has given up…</font>

4)I raise pf to push out the bb vs a weak limper. He’s either got Ax, a middle suited connector, or a sub-primo pp.

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Guruman is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Guruman bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Guruman bets as last money in to fold six out hands…</font>

5)I think this hand is a trainwreck, but I’ll post it anyway. Villain is a total bonuswhoring rock that doesn’t bluff. the flop checkraise is to push him off of an ace type hand. when he calls I’m done (especially with the Q falling on the turn) but when he checks through it looks like he’s given up as well. I don’t consider him tricky enough to induce a bluff on purpose, so should I oblige?

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Guruman is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, Button calls, Guruman calls <font color="#aaaaaa">(5.5:1.5)</font>, BB folds.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (7SB, 3 players)
Guruman checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman raises</font>, CO calls.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5.5BB, 2 players)
Guruman checks, CO checks.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5.5BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Guruman bets because he was induced by a weak tight player…</font>

also:<font color="white">I’ve fabricated my actions on exactly one of these hands. Try to guess which one.</font>
Old 05-08-2006, 10:33 PM

Default Re: of bluffs and cont bets

1) i do this too sometimes - dry ass board and button buying potential is key
2) yucky - especially with FD
3) standard, he's not folding often and you're not winning w/o SD
4) i have no idea but I bet that sometimes, usually c/f
5) you are never ever ever folding A high here, I will call you with A5 and "LOLOLOLOL" at you in chat. bet the turn if you're going to pull that flop stuff
Old 05-08-2006, 10:44 PM

2)Q:how often does he have a club draw with a random hand?

5)this hand was not vs you. It was vs a tight/passive multitlabling bw. I have not seen him showdown less than a pair after &gt;100 hands.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5)this hand was not vs you. It was vs a tight/passive multitlabling bw. I have not seen him showdown less than a pair after &gt;100 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

the point is your expectation vs anyone is higher with a turn bet than a river bet
Old 05-08-2006, 10:57 PM

1. standard
2. I'm cool with it
3. I check behind (you are basically betting to get king high to fold)
4. sure, but c/f is fine too
5. bet the turn. c/f the river since you didn't
Old 05-08-2006, 11:05 PM

1. good
2. good if you don't put any more money in. this board is pretty close. K72r would be perfect. KT7 with flushdraw would be bad. K8 is good enough I think.
[ QUOTE ]
villains can release a wide range since there aren’t even odds to draw to the flush here.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, think a 1/2 player will fold a flush draw here?
3. chk river, compared to the pot size there's not a good enough chance he folds a better hand than yours
4. i don't know.
5. creative move, especially given the villian type and the button fold. but if you do this you must bet the got-damn turn. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2006, 11:18 PM

Good post - I hope it generates a lot of replies.

1. At first glance I thought this was a fold but 2 players have already indicated weakness and the pot is big. I like the bet but it is usually the last money in UI. I am almost always checking the turn through and come up with a river plan depending on the villian. Insta-fold to any aggression other than an induced bluff on the river.

2. I think you should bet this occassionally to vary your play. It comes down to, in general, does villian fold &gt;30% of the time? I think it is close and not a big leak or winner either way.

3. Seems similar to #2 but now we need &gt;35% and most aces and even some kings are calling. I almost always check behind here.

4. After raising pf and flopping an ace, I think we almost always up against an ace or a king here. I think ck/fold is standard.

5. I like betting the turn here but I realize that's not really the question. Given your read, it seems reasonable to bet the river if he will fold ace high. I think most typical 1/2 players would not fold ace high here.