Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2006, 08:54 PM

Default gf\'s dad...what do i do?

So I found out recently what a huge [censored] my gf's dad is. I always had known he had a temper, but I never knew the true extent of it until this past weekend. Here's the story:

About a year ago, we found out my gf's mom had breast cancer. It was super-early detection, and she seems to be doing fine now, except her arm is still sore from the surgery and she is supposed to be very careful with it forever. While she was recovering from her surgery, GF's dad worked (like always) 60 hours per week at his electrician's job. Since my gf was at college, she couldn't really come home to help out around the house and everything, so GF's sister (8th grade) took over doing dishes, laundry, cooking, etc. while her mom was recovering. GF's dad did nothing out of the ordinary to help with the stuff her mom usually did. At one point, her mom asked him to do the dishes since her sister had a ton of homework to do. He flipped out yelling at her that he has been busting his ass to help her while all she does is lay there. Then, to apologize, her bought her flowers. She started crying, because she was so happy, because it was the first time he ever bought her flowers. Ever. They had been married 23 years.

About two weeks ago, he went dirtbiking, fell off his bike, and broke his leg. Since then, GF's mom has been doing all her usual stuff around the house, also picking up extra shifts at her job to try to save up more money since he can't work. While he has been recovering, he has done nothing but terrorize her, yelling at her about absolutely everything. The floor needs to be vaccumed again, this dish has a spot on it, etc. Yelling, in front of her young daughters, about how she is a lazy bitch. They were watching TV, and he asked how long until dinner was ready. She said half an hour, he threw his crutch at her and hit her leg. While GF's mom was at work, GF's sisters (4th and 8th grade) asked GF's dad if they could go buy something for Mother's Day. He said "That bitch doesn't deserve anything."

In other incidents, he has thrown his crutch at their dog, and hit a stranger who was smoking outdoors at a track meet with it. GF's mom is an absolute saint. GF knows her mom doesn't deserve this crap, and everyone who knows her would think the same thing. While we talk about these things, I can't seem to find the right words to say. I can't really tell GF "Everything will be OK" or "It'll turn out fine" because he is not going to change. Basically, I would support her mom's decision to leave this creep, but I'm not sure how GF would take it if I told her. She hates her dad, but it's weird to tell someone you think their parents should split up. What do I do?

Summary: My girlfriend's dad is an ass. I want her mom to leave him. What do I do/say?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:57 PM

Default Re: gf\'s dad...what do i do?

Don't get involved.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:58 PM

If it bothers you this much, break up with girlfriend. Problem solved.

You can't do anything, dude. Them's the breaks.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't get involved.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-08-2006, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't get involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been dating her for 3 years, and I don't think this incident is worthy to break up with her over, if that's what you mean. Or maybe you meant "don't get involved with the situation." It's hard to not get involved when its the main topic of our recent conversations...

None of your business
Old 05-08-2006, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
None of your business

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you married your gf, it would only be your business if the mom asked you for advice.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
None of your business

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-09-2006, 10:15 AM

Sounds like someone just needs to hide his crutches.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like someone just needs to hide his crutches.

[/ QUOTE ]

pass tha' crutches!