Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2006, 03:26 PM

Default Flop play--strength, hand type and board type

I've been thinking lately about how I approach flops and have tried to isolate three primary variables that influence my play. I'm hoping others will weigh in on whether this kind of analysis is correct and/or worthwhile. Of course this is just a model I use to guide decisions. When I say I play a certain hand one way, I mean that I usually but not always do so.

These are the variables I'm looking at:

hand type: made hand or drawing

board type: is the board suited or connected? Are there many high cards?

strength of hand: this depends somewhat on the number of players in the hand, but generally a strong made hand is an overpair/two pair or better and a strong drawing hand has thirteen or more outs many made hands.

action: By fast and slow, I'm talking not about how exactly I play the hand, but my goal for the hand. When playing slow, I'm willing to get to the turn without many chips entering the pot, so I want to check/call/fold. When playing fast, I don't want to get to the turn with few chips entering the pot, so I want to bet/raise/fold. Which particular line I choose depends on position, reads, stack sizes, etc.

So here's how I think I play:

Strong/Drawing/Dangerous Board: Fast
eg board=A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] hand=K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Strong/Drawing/Clean Board: Fast
eg board=J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hand=K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Strong/Made/Dangerous Board: Fast
eg board=A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] hand=A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Strong/Made/Clean Board: Slow
eg board=J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hand=Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Weak/Drawing/Dangerous Board: Slow
eg board=A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] hand=K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Weak/Drawing/Clean Board: Fast
eg board=J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hand=8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Weak/Made/Dangerous Board: Slow
eg board=A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] hand=A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Weak/Made/Clean Board: Fast
eg board=J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hand=Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2006, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Flop play--strength, hand type and board type

[ QUOTE ]
Strong/Made/Clean Board: Slow
eg board=J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hand=Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would certainly consider this a dangerous board, and thus play it fast.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would certainly consider this a dangerous board, and thus play it fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps not the best example. Maybe change the hand to aces and make it heads up. Or as another example,

board=9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] hand=9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2006, 03:00 PM

Are you considering your profile on your opponents?