Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2006, 11:09 AM

Default England World Cup squad

What the phuck is Sven thinking?

Only 4 strikers, 2 of which are injured, one of which has never played a premiership game before, and one of which is, well Crouch. Darren Bent must be fuming.

OWen Hargreaves?

What do we pay this idiot £5m a year for??????? uugh

Robinson (Tottenham), James (Manchester City), Green (Norwich); G Neville (Manchester United), Ferdinand (Manchester United), Terry (Chelsea), Cole (Arsenal), Campbell (Arsenal), Carragher (Liverpool), Bridge (Chelsea), Beckham (Real Madrid), Carrick (Tottenham), Lampard (Chelsea), Gerrard (Liverpool), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Jenas (Tottenham), Downing (Middlesbrough), J Cole (Chelsea), Lennon (Tottenham), Rooney (Manchester United), Owen (Newcastle), Crouch (Liverpool), Walcott (Arsenal).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...nd/4983618.stm
Old 05-08-2006, 11:29 AM

Default Re: England World Cup squad

Neville, Rio, Terry, Cole, Campbell, Lampard and Gerrard... that's just scary. I don't know why so many think England is overrated on these boards, with that difensive line up they just needed a good striker (aka Rodney wich they don't have anymore) to be one of the favourites.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Neville, Rio, Terry, Cole, Campbell, Lampard and Gerrard... that's just scary. I don't know why so many think England is overrated on these boards, with that difensive line up they just needed a good striker (aka Rodney wich they don't have anymore) to be one of the favourites.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you answered your own question. We dont have any strikers.

And the defence is not as great as the names sound... Rio is not a top class defender, Cole is hurt, Campbell has lost the plot. Obvioulsy, Terry is amazing, but he needs some help.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:32 PM

having Ledley King gone too really screws with that defensive back 4 too.

I am glad however that Sven included Aaron Lennon and Micheal Carrick. They are in form and should help provide something to the team. I don't understand the inclusion of Wolcott. He is a talent, yes, but he is at least 4 years away from being part of the National team. Putting Rooney on is just a pipe dream and I just don't get it. Let him heal, and he will be ready for the start of the Prem next season, he doesn't have a chance of playing at all in this WC, and I don't want to see him possibly screw up his career from coming back too early from this injury. Bent needs to be included. His form this year has been great and he has scored some wonderful goals. I think that Beattie should've also been in the running(though he never has done crap for england when he has played) and that Defoe not getting included is a bit odd too, IMO
Old 05-08-2006, 06:24 PM

you have to name rooney even if it's 95% he'll miss the world cup. if you don't, and he's ready, you look like an idiot.

this team is poor, but i don't really see what sven should have done instead. he can't magically heal the injured or turn back the clock.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:46 PM

We are taking 2 fit strikers one of whom has never played a club game before, the other is Peter Crouch, who I like, and no offence meant, but Peter Crouch!
Old 05-08-2006, 07:23 PM

Agreed. Peter Crouch is not a prolific striker, he's a target man. You need someone that can score goals besides Owen. Given that the Gerrard/Lampard central midfield pairing has not exactly been perfect, I think they should play Gerrard in a sort of free role behind Owen and then use Carrick in a holding role alonside Lampard, Cole, and Beckham.

Walcott is a huge gamble but I haven't seen him play yet so I can't pass judgement on him.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:54 PM

It beats me why they always pick 3 goalkeepers - for 7 games max. You can even replace an injured player from outside the squad so why bother? The chances of needing 3 keepers in that number of games is close to zero.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Walcott is a huge gamble but I haven't seen him play yet so I can't pass judgement on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither has Sven!
Old 05-08-2006, 08:17 PM

At least it gives england an excuse when they fail yet again