Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2006, 09:46 AM

Default Hand reading 101: Most common & exploitable reads?

All you expert hand-readers out there:

What do you guys see as the most common villain tendencies that make you money, and how do you pick them out? (Ya, I know, you see them do it. Anything more?) Care to share some specific examples?

In my extremely limited experience in actually attempting to read villains, what I've seen so far is players who:

* Play any 2 sooted
* Overplay their top pair
* Seem to bluff a lot (although without a big sample size, how do you tell?)

And I think I've seen guys who float but give up on a second barrel, but now I'm not sure if I'm imagining things. Do you ever go wrong on your reads? How do you check yourself?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Hand reading 101: Most common & exploitable reads?

It really depends on levels, a weak lead below $100NL into a pfr is always a weak hand, in 100NL sometimes it's a big hand hoping to see a raise. At 100NL a big pot sized bet on the river after a flush hits is almost always a value bet hoping to look like a bluff, in 50NL it's a bluff fairly often.
There are a lot more examples like this.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:56 AM

Im not sure if this is what you are looking for but in general I find these lines from a passive fish to be dangerous. Assume you have position for all these:

1) C/c flop, bet turn (the stop and go, this is almost always a monster)
2) C/c flop and turn, lead river. (This one is very villain dependent but once you get a handle on what sort of hands opponent does this with, it is very exploitable)
3) The check/minraise. Another Villain dependent one but usually a pretty good hand or TP type hand. I see this one a lot because I play very aggressively. This line actually makes my hand very easy to play. I played a guy one night who did this almost every time I raised preflop and he hit TP. I bombed him almost every time he did this even with air and got a lot of folds.
4) The donk lead after your PFR. Pretty easy one. Either has a very strong hand and is hoping for a 3 bet or he has a piece of the flop and is testing the waters. Another one that I see a lot. I usually raise these unless he is giving me really good odds to make a strong hand.

So those are some villain lines I find exploitable. As far as tendencies, your list is pretty good. Another one you need to add is the "Any Ace" crowd. Very prevalent at SSNL, you can make some serious cash off these guys once you identify them. Just be careful of reverse domination.

Are reads sometimes wrong. Yeah. Notes are key here. You might not have good sample size for stats on someone but most of the online players dont change how they play various hands and if you have some decent notes, you wont often be wrong.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:57 AM

Smooth call flop, minraise turn = no less than two pair
Old 05-08-2006, 10:02 AM

3-betting pre-flop from anyone who isn't a short, a maniac or solid TAG is AA or KK over 80% of the time.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:12 AM

Preflop limp from early and call your raise = small-mid pair a lot with small-mid suited connectors or weak ace also in the mix.

I hope this thread keeps growing - very good topic.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3-betting pre-flop from anyone who isn't a short, a maniac or solid TAG is AA or KK over 80% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep.

When I c-bet the flop and check the turn, many players seem to bet the river no matter what comes.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:17 AM

For some specific villains:

* Flop minbet when checked to = "I'm stealing with complete trash"

More generally:

* Small flop bet (<1/3 pot) = draw; pot-size bet = made hand
Old 05-08-2006, 10:37 AM

Thinking for more than 5 seconds and then minbetting into a pot of 20BB or more from semi-competent players is always, always a monster. I've seen this a bajillion times when J4 sooooted has hit a 44x flop and it's horrendously obvious. I think the logic is "I want to get some money in but I want to look retarded at the same time - NOBODY WILL NOTICE!!".

Eg.

I have A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], two limpers, I raise to 7BB PF in M/LP, all others fold, both behind me call.

Flop comes - 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

First player thinks....minbets. ie. 1BB into 21BB. Second player calls, I raise to $1.20, am re-raised to $7, and say "uber-lol", and insta-fold. Other donk RRAI's and is called, initial villain shows...

A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I'd be tempted to flat call these bets now and see an extremely cheap SD, or just fold if I'm not even drawing.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thinking for more than 5 seconds and then minbetting into a pot of 20BB or more from semi-competent players is always, always a monster. I've seen this a bajillion times when J4 sooooted has hit a 44x flop and it's horrendously obvious. I think the logic is "I want to get some money in but I want to look retarded at the same time - NOBODY WILL NOTICE!!".

Eg.

I have A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], two limpers, I raise to 7BB PF in M/LP, all others fold, both behind me call.

Flop comes - 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

First player thinks....minbets. ie. 1BB into 21BB. Second player calls, I raise to $1.20, am re-raised to $7, and say "uber-lol", and insta-fold. Other donk RRAI's and is called, initial villain shows...

A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I'd be tempted to flat call these bets now and see an extremely cheap SD, or just fold if I'm not even drawing.

[/ QUOTE ]

But this is the best when you are drawing

You have K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on

K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]j [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] board

Villian min bets, you spike a full house and get it all in on the river!