Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2006, 09:35 PM

Default I need some golf clubs

I haven't golfed much in 3 years and have a very old set. I played friday and saturday (9 holes each) and rented clubs. They were a Wilson Pro Staff set and I seemed to hit them very well. I hit the ball straight and drive around 250...had a few almost 300. I shot a 60 on friday and a 50 on saturday hitting my drives and irons straight and solid. i need to practice a lot on my putting (very bad speed control). I'm not really concerned with the cost of them although I don't think I would benefit from buying a $1000 set of Irons. So, OOT what would you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Donny
Old 05-07-2006, 09:42 PM

Default Re: I need some golf clubs

Go to Golf Galaxy or whatever your large scale retail golf store is and look for complete sets (putter, woods, irons) and look to spend no more than $300. I think this is the best route.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:50 PM

I used to golf 4-5 times/wk in the summer. At that point the $1k set was definitely worth it. More than anything they hit more consistently. But if you don't go out that much then I wouldn't bother and just go with the Wilson's or whatever cheaper set.

Also it's not that much time or money to get "fitted" for clubs. Whether you buy a good or cheaper set it's probably worthwhile.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to golf 4-5 times/wk in the summer. At that point the $1k set was definitely worth it. More than anything they hit more consistently. But if you don't go out that much then I wouldn't bother and just go with the Wilson's or whatever cheaper set.

Also it's not that much time or money to get "fitted" for clubs. Whether you buy a good or cheaper set it's probably worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to try and golf once or twice a week.

Any recommendations on specific brands, etc?
Old 05-07-2006, 09:53 PM

check out some driving ranges or something similar to a "play it again sports". clubs at the driving range near me are dirt cheap.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:56 PM

Callaway Pre-Owned...
Old 05-07-2006, 09:59 PM

You get what you pay for in golf clubs. Take the 1/2 hour or so and get fitted as well. My advice is to stay away from complete sets (bag, driver/3wood, irons, putter, etc.) as they are usually lower quality. Nothing wrong w/ solid brands like Titleist, Callaway, TaylorMade that can be had used on eBay.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:08 PM

All the major brands make quality clubs. Find something you are comfortable with. Getting fitted for length, lie angle, etc is important and wont cost you anything at most places if you make a purchase.

I'll put in a plug for Callaway because they make excellent clubs and have excellent customer service. If something goes wrong with a club you can just send it back to them and they will replace it. If you are going to Vegas soon they have 2 Callaway fitting centers there. One is in Caesers Palace and other is in a driving range next to the airport.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All the major brands make quality clubs. Find something you are comfortable with. Getting fitted for length, lie angle, etc is important and wont cost you anything at most places if you make a purchase.

I'll put in a plug for Callaway because they make excellent clubs and have excellent customer service. If something goes wrong with a club you can just send it back to them and they will replace it. If you are going to Vegas soon they have 2 Callaway fitting centers there. One is in Caesers Palace and other is in a driving range next to the airport.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be in Vegas in a month but would like to golf before then and I will be there for the entire series...thanks for all the replies so far. I'm busy looking at sites.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:40 AM

There has to be some more knowledgable golf people in here...specific models of clubs, etc???