Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2006, 09:31 PM

Default $20 Trick - Room Upgrades

From ratevegas.com:

"The $20 trick is a commonly used technique designed to obtain free or discounted room upgrades. Basically, it is a tip to the check-in clerk with the hope for a free room upgrade.

Most folks that want to try the trick will fold up a $20 bill and stick it under their credit card before they hand it over. When the clerk sees the bill, you ask for the upgraded room. If he starts typing away, hand the bill over with the credit card. If 'no upgrades are available' feel free to pocket your $20.
The clerks don't get offended, this happens all the time. It is not illegal but some hotels do have policies that forbid it. In that case the clerk will politely refuse.
There is no guarantee that this will work - it is usually based on the clerk you hit and the availability of rooms at the hotel. People have reported success at all times of day, so there is no sure fire way to pull it off. Live clerks at the hotels are usually better than airport check in kiosks.
While more than $20 might help in some situations, it's not too likely."

How have others fared with this 'trick' (not really a trick in my opinion, just a gratuity for quality service). I have made reservations for May 14-19 at the MGM for a Grand Tower Room for $109/night. (Planning to use poker discount of $40/night) There are four of us so we will be needing two queen beds. The rates have actually gone down (~$89 for Sunday, ~99 Monday-Thursday) so I would have to assume the occupancy during this time period is really low. This plan is highly dependent on how many Bungalow Queen Suites are available. The Bungalow rooms seem like the best option for a group of four. (two queens, wetbar...) The Bungalow Queen Suite is advertised for 159 Sun-Wed and 189 for Thursday. Tipping $20, what are the chances that I would be able to:

a) Get the upgrade for free?
b) Get the upgrade for an additional $50 over the rate I had previously locked in? $139 (a savings of $20)
c) Assuming I am offered b), be able to negotiate a rate of ~$109-119ish

Do I have a better chance of pulling this off at the airport check in or at the main lobby check in I will be getting into vegas around 330pm. Let's say I get the room for 139, (a savings of $20 compared to the online rate) will I be able to still apply the $40 poker room discout?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:15 PM

Default Re: $20 Trick - Room Upgrades

With all due respect, this is almost as over-discussed as the posts like "where are the easiest (insert level) games in Vegas?" that drive Photoc nuts.

All you need to know is here...