Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2006, 05:42 PM

Default PP $55 multi....9Ts from cutoff

PP $55 Multi, 450 entrants, 25 players left
Blinds 2k/4k $100 antes(?)
Folded to hero in cutoff w/ 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero(55k) raises to 8k, Button folds, SB(60k) calls, Villian in BB(95k...chip leader) calls
Pot preflop: @34K

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
sb checks, Villian checks, Hero bets 16k
sb folds, Villian is all in

No read on villian, just joined the table.
Thought on how I played the hand (or if I even should have) and on whether this is a spot I need to risk my tourney life on. I did have the thought that Villian could very easily think I missed the flop w/ 2 big cards and was making a continuation bet w/ zip.....but who knows...with a huge chip lead his range of hands could be very big from the BB. Thoughts?
Old 05-07-2006, 05:59 PM

Default Re: PP $55 multi....9Ts from cutoff

I'm quite sure you need to call. You have half your stack invested and a hand that might very well be good and a nice draw to go along with it. It has got to be easier to win this hand than to build your crippled stack again.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:59 PM

Check behind the flop.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:16 PM

whats the thought on checking behind here? Whats my play if turn is a blank and he checks? or he bets into me?
Old 05-07-2006, 06:39 PM

I push this flop. Pot is 34k you have 44k behind any bet is basically committing you and i'm not getting away from this flop. Depending upon the avg chip stack i may be swayed to check behind on the flop, but its either ch/push. If turn is a blank and he bets into you its going to be a read dependent decision.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:50 PM

whats the thought on checking behind again? Is it to take a free card to my str8 draw?
also, is making this play, at this time in the tourney, with this hand, a resonable decision?
Old 05-07-2006, 09:38 PM

Yes, checking behind to draw to your straight. Preflop if your goal is to steal the antes/blinds i raise to at least 2.5xbb and the play is fine. If your talking about your flop bet, no it was a horrible decision.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:10 PM

That pot is way too big not to protect. Unless you look into someone's soul and see that you're beat a check is crazy here. Bet flop, call an all-in. Or just push yourself. Whatever. Just don't check or fold.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:54 AM

That pot is way too big not to protect. Unless you look into someone's soul and see that you're beat a check is crazy here. Bet flop, call an all-in. Or just push yourself. Whatever. Just don't check or fold.

That was sort of my thought....I need to be making a move at this flop, especially when everyone is checking to me. But "the Audition" is posting that my flop bet was a "horrible decision". I don't understand why, but would like to...anyone else agree with him, or at least understand why checking would be so much better than betting? thanks...
Old 05-08-2006, 10:48 AM

I won't comment on postflop because I can see both sides of the argument, and I am not a good postflop player. Preflop, if you are trying to steal, I would raise it more. Unless you have seen minraises commonly taking down pots in this situation, I think you need to put in about 3x BB to try to steal the blinds. If your steal doesn't work, you still have just over 10 BB left to work with.