Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 10:45 PM

Default What do you guys \"read\"?

Hey all,

If you're like me, one of your biggest weaknesses is getting good reads. I like many probably depend too much on PT/GT+ to provide my reads for me. I'd like to here what you guys normally look out for, what reads do you make, etc. Here's typically what I'm keeping on eye out for -

1) What does Villain limp in with?
2) What does V raise pre-flop?
3) What does V cold-call?
4) What will he bet on the flop with (with or without a pre-flop raiser)?
5) Will V bet when checked to him in late position on the flop or turn?
6) What will he check-raise?
7) What will he "wake-up" with?
8) what will he call on the river?
9) Is he tricky on the river?

Quite a bit I know but I'm looking for stuff out of the norm. So I won't take a note that someone will c/r on the turn with a set but I will note that he will with something like a flush draw. So what types of things are you guys looking out for?
Old 07-15-2005, 11:14 PM

Default Re: What do you guys \"read\"?

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys "read"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly fiction. Well, not fiction, but literature. Although, I've been known to dabble in some biographies. I'm a big fan of Faulkner.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:24 PM

I don't take many notes on 1-3. I mostly rely on my HUD for that info. I'll make a note if I see something really odd, or that differs from what one would expect based on stats. #4 and #8, though, are probably what I have my best notes on. The rest I'm usually making notes on, particularly if there's something out of line. It sounds like we're pretty much on the same page.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:29 PM

One really important note I make of TAGs regard a couple of common but horrendous preflop errors:

Open limping in LP.

Not reraising to isolate a loose preflop raiser, but cold calling instead.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:38 PM

I check hand histories very often to see what players mucked. I'm looking to see who I can value bet and how low I can go.

I really don't care too much about pf play reads. Loose players are relatively tough to put on a hand until the flop anyways so I wait and see what the texture of the flop and and think about their probable range given their tightness and aggression pf. Tracking actual hands is a bit much because you don't get that many hands to SD to be terribly accurate before they leave.

I usually try to figure out what the source of the aggression was. I'm looking for things out of the ordinary that might cost me a pot by making e fold. Do they bet draws? How far do they go with these bets? Do they bet middle or bottom pair on the flop. Do they take shots at the pfr when the flop comes all low cards? When they wake up on the turn did they do it with a made hand or a hand the added outs like a flush draw? Do they bluff? Do they bluff raise? Do they bluff C/R? These are all things I'm most wary of because I am capable of folding in many situations but reads will prevent me from folding incorrectly.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:51 PM

I'm more concerned with how he plays postflop (especially 6m) like if he'll bet/raise something other than top pair, what/if he'll call down, if he overvalues weak pair or weak kicker or seems to be ignoring the board, if he only c-r with the goods, if he'll bet/raise draws/overs, what he does after pfr/overs and his position.

Since it takes awhile with a particular player to see all that most of my notes are for things that really stand out ("flop raised unders+bdsd"). If someone is particularly bad "moron" is about all I need to be reminded of...

Mike
Old 07-16-2005, 01:27 AM

A few things:

<ul type="square">[*] What will this player raise preflop with?[*] What will this player 3-bet preflop with?[*] Does this player seem positionally aware?[*] Does this player ever bet a draw or bluff?[*] Does this player call down with any part of the board (or a pocket pair)?[*] Is this player worth trying to isolate with marginal hands?[*] What will this player check/raise with?[*] With what hands will this player raise against a dangerous board?[/list]
Hope those are some good ideas.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:36 AM

ToP has a nice section "evaluating the game"

on page 270 lists common mistakes and best stratergy against them.

anything that fits those descriptions I place, or anything they do I make a note of (bet here when blah blah)

if they are not afraid to raise some hands PF most don't (AJo, TT etc). Also, what hands they limp that most would raise (QQ, AKo etc)

and in general, allota stuff PF, worst thing they've limped with, worst thing they'ved raised with, what they've been CC'ing with.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:51 AM

You might want to consider getting the Poker Ace HUD at http://pokeracesoftware.com

It'll automatically show mucked hands w/o having to crack open the HH.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:23 AM

the ones you listed, and...
- if they bet draws
- what they showdown
- if they loosen up thier raising standards as thier position improves.

I also will make a note if I see them make a wild bluff or overplay top pair weak kicker etc. Sometimes I make very specific notes if I think it is important.