Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2006, 01:11 PM

Default 6-handed live home game: overpair on small board

Read on Villain: He is a very aggressive player, bets at almost all pots, bets draws very aggressively and is liable to call pre-flop with any two. I think he folds about 20% of his hands in unraised pots and calls that amount in raised ones. He is capable of laying down hands and big bluffs.

Villain's read on me must be that I am very TAG. He must know when I raise it's usually a pair, a big ace or suited connectors. However he also knows I am capable of raising occasionally with some 8Ts, 96s type hands. I am very bluffable, meaning that when people (re)raise me hard or bet hard on the river I am very likely to lay down a big hand. I always c-bet.

The game is aggressive since he sat down, doubling up over me and some one else in his two first hands with the nut straight on the flop and aces vs. queens pre-flop.

Blinds: 0,50/0,50
Stack villlain: 300ish
My stack: 200ish

Action:

It is folded to him and he makes it $3 to go. I call with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button. Rest fold.

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He bets his standard $10 c-bet and I make it $25. He quickly reraises me to $50.

This is where I should have made my decision but I didn't. I just called him.

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Really not a very scary card for me but he bets $50 again. I think he either has picked up some freaky 2-pair, has an overpair, a strong 8 or some draw. I actually think he has a draw but also think he has a pretty strong one. A flush/straight combo draw. I can't call this bet because I know he will fire again on the river regardless. It's either push or fold. After thinking for about 4 minutes I fold, thinking I probably folded the best hand.

Any advice on this hand? I really didn't want to play for all my chips with such a marginal hand against him. Every time I play with him we get involved in big pots (because of his aggression), sometimes I win, sometimes he does. I had called a couple of bluffs on the river with ace high or a small pair against other opponents so he must have some idea that I'm in a 'calling mood'. If the stacks were half of what they were I would've pushed but now I'm not so sure.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:35 PM

Default Re: 6-handed live home game: overpair on small board

Just call the flop, try to get to showdown.

As played, fold to the reraise, failing that, fold the turn.