Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2006, 06:29 PM

Default Idea: session posts

Like many NL newbs, I don’t only have trouble with pot building, and how to get the most out of monsters, and when to make big laydowns, and how much to bet into pots getting largish with moderate holdings. I have trouble with the situations you vets know immediately how to deal with – the “normal” routine stuff that many of you guys take for granted.

So, I have a simple idea that has been implemented before in the forum I moderate – session posts. The idea is pretty simple. A respected poster picks a newer player who volunteers to post an entire session, of say 100-150 hands. No hands are skipped. Not even the boring fold 72o utg – the reason for this is simple: the leaks you don’t know you have are likely some of the most costly. The entire session, as a series of hand histories, is posted anonymously, either by an anonymous account or a mod or another respected poster acting as a proxy.

The way we did this in ML was to make a locked sticky and have people create new threads in responses to particular hands. A better method might be to have one large thread that is not locked or stickied where people respond to individual hands by posting the hand number in the subject line. Discussion of the hand could then commence in responses to that post. Ideally there would be many subthreads discussing many different hands.

I just wanted to throw this idea out there and gauge what many of you thought. If you don’t think this is a good idea, that is cool – I’m pretty thick skinned (I’m in academia after all – you kind of have to get used to people calling yr ideas stupid!).

If you guys do like this idea then I leave the methods of implementation up to popular consensus.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 05-06-2006, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Idea: session posts

I think this, and the session review pairings over in the limit forums both really worked well

I'd like to take part (on the novice side!) if it goes ahead!

Mat
Old 05-06-2006, 06:36 PM

Seconded as an excellent idea
Old 05-06-2006, 06:40 PM

I like it, and volunteer to post a session.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:40 PM

sweet, i posted something like this easlier and go no responses because i'm not green.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:45 PM

i will review or post, dont care either way.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:47 PM

I'll participate and post my hand histories for sure. Count me in.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:48 PM

great idea, put me in the "play a session" pool
Old 05-06-2006, 06:51 PM

I'd call this a really fantastic idea. A new poster dumps a reasonable-length one-table session. That poster should:

1. NOT comment on anything whatsoever.
2. Convert ALL hands in the history prior to posting.
3. Number all hands for easy reference.

Afterwards, experienced posters who see flaws could create a thread with one hand, posting any relevant metagame issues ("hero folded every hand for the past orbit and a half" or "UTG+1 took a VERY bad beat four hands ago, and is likely steaming") along with their running commentary. It could be a good way to get some "big picture" ideas across regarding situationally dependent moves. We'd need an identifier code of some kind to make it clear that we were referencing the current Sample Session. Perhaps make the title something recognizable like:

[SS3] Hand #88: When to try a steal

The image and identifiers would allow people to quickly spot the type of thread (and how old it was -- SS3 would be the third Sample Session), and open it or not at their discretion.

We could change the Sample Session once per week, which should give people time to make any posts they wanted to make while still allowing for quite a variety of threads and discussions. Grunch (like how I volunteered him? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) could also note at the very bottom of the Sample Session what the current waiting list for newer players who wanted to have their sessions included, along with the dates when the samples would be posted.

How does that sound as a first pass?
Old 05-06-2006, 07:17 PM

I really like the idea. There was something similar some weeks ago, but it was 1 to 1 instead 1 session to be commented by the whole forum.

I'll be waiting for the session post. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

regards,

dardo