Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2006, 03:14 PM

Default Some Quick Questions of Etiquette

1. Is it okay to fold out of turn? We had a guy doing this in a recent home game and no one minded, but it kind of bothered me because people could see there was one less player who could call/raise them if they bet. He never meant to do it. He just sucked and didn't pay attention. What should I do if it's not okay?

2. The same guy would occasionally call out of turn. How do you handle the hand when someone does that?

3. Same douchebag was dealer. He called and thought he was last to act so he dealt the flop, but the next guy hadn't had a turn to act yet. The flop came up very favorably for him, but he admitted he was strongly thinking of folding before it was dealt. We ended up just letting everyone take their chips back and replayed the hand. Was that right?

And no, this guy that managed to raise 3 questions of procedure without ever intending to isn't invited back to anymore games.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Some Quick Questions of Etiquette

The host should inform all players that they are expected to act in turn and multiple infractions will result in penalties. A typical penalty is to force the player to sit out for a period of time, maybe 15 or 30 minutes depending on the circumstances, in which cards will be dealt to him and folded and blinds will also be collected when they reach his seat.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:10 PM

What would you do for the specific hand, though? The players left to act but before the out-of-turner have a small advantage. Just let it slide and play on?
Old 05-06-2006, 06:52 PM

As long as everyone agreed that returning all money and redealing the hand was fair then all is well. I've found that in my home games as long as everyone involved in the hand agrees on the best way to proceed after a problem is all that matters.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:16 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

3. When he deals the flop and their is person left to act, have him pick up the flop and burn and reshuuffle it back into the deck. and then deal it out when he is supposed to
Old 05-07-2006, 06:31 PM

returning the money is the right decision and replay. the dealer then should receive a 15 - 20 minute penalty depending on your time blindds ( make hime have to wait till the next level up, or close to it ) He will correct his behavour soon enough.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3. When he deals the flop and their is person left to act, have him pick up the flop and burn and reshuuffle it back into the deck. and then deal it out when he is supposed to

[/ QUOTE ]

You do not pick the burn back up, leave it as the burn card and shuffle the flop back into the deck. Kick dealer in the nuts and proceed as normal.

The nut kicking should also correct the other issues. If you ask someone to play a certain way (in turn) and they just can't do it yell at them every time until they start paying attention.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:30 AM

There is a regular player in a home game that does the exact same things. Everybody (except me) thinks that he just has a bad case of ADD. We instituted a house rule that goes as follows: if you bet out of turn, you put your bet into the pot and fold your hand. It has been very effective. Unfortunately, when he deals, we just have to watch him closely and correct him before he screws up the hand.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:42 AM

With respect to the third situation:
- Shuffle the flop back into the deck, let the blinds act, and then redeal the flop. You have exposed a little bit of information about what is still in the deck, but it's probably not going to affect anyone's action.
- If this guys screws up his deal again, just have someone else deal for him.
- If he keeps screwing up his other actions, warn him a few times, and then don't invite him back if he keeps doing it. But folding out-of-turn occassionally isn't that big a deal...I sometimes do it if I want to get up to go to the bathroom or something.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:40 AM

It depends on his intent, and how many times he's been warned. I'll assume in my answers that he's been warned more than once.

"1. Is it okay to fold out of turn?"
NO. Explain to him how that disadvantages people already in, and gives players yet to act an advantage.
Then, start penalizing him- sitting out of a tourney, or $$ fine his butt.

"The same guy would occasionally call out of turn. How do you handle the hand when someone does that?"

He's committed to calling, no matter WHAT happens in front of him. Two people raise? He's calling two-cold. THAT should solve his problem.

"He called and thought he was last to act so he dealt the flop, but the next guy hadn't had a turn to act yet. The flop came up very favorably for him, but he admitted he was strongly thinking of folding before it was dealt. We ended up just letting everyone take their chips back and replayed the hand."

Reshuffle and redeal the hand with the stub and the flop cards. If he does it more than once, his hand is dead and play moves on.

"And no, this guy that managed to raise 3 questions of procedure without ever intending to isn't invited back to anymore games"

If these are just careless one-time mistakes, why NOT invite him back?