Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2006, 11:35 AM

Default I was all by myself.....DIY Trip Report (Lots of Pics)

Last years trip report is here.

This year I decided to install new front steps and retaining wall. I had hired most of last years project out, but this year I decided to make it a do-it-yourself project.

For reference here is the before pic:

I had a lot of exposed foundation I wanted to cover and the contractor used crappy screws on the steps that were literally rusting apart. I began by planning everything out in AutoCAD to figure materials and layout. I decided to use VersaLOK blocks as that is what my back steps are made out of.

I ended up ordering 200 blocks, 100 capstones, 5 yards of crushed rock with stone dust for the base, 5 yards of washed stone for drainage, and 10 yards of topsoil for filling the wall in. It ended up being 7 pallets of material which they delivered using a cool boom truck.

My daughter inspecting the topsoil :

7 Pallets of blocks:

The first step was to rip off the old steps and dig down 6 inches below the bottom of where the wall was going.

Old Steps:

Dug out wall channel with my son:

To make sure the wall was level I made a water level instead of buying a transit. Went to Home depot bought 50 ft of clear plastic tubing and filled it with water and food coloring. Since water seeks its own level you can use this and two yardsticks to do the same thing as a transit.

I also had to run a drain line for my gutters out and down the lawn as they ran into the wall:

After everything was level I put 3 inches of the crushed rock into the channel and compacted it using a rented plate compactor, and then added 3 more inches of the rock on top of that and compacted it again.

It provides a very firm foundation for the wall:

Next was laying, cutting, and splitting the blocks. I rented a diamond blade concrete saw to do the cutting and the corner pieces that had to be split were done with a masons chisel.

Next the cap stones had to be cut and glued on using concrete adhesive:

Then the wall had to be filled with drainage rock next to the wall and soil behind that. In hindsight this would have been much easier filling it in as it went up.

Finally there was some clean up and some gravel for the walkway until I find some nice paving stones I like.

Finished project:

I still have to plant it, but so far we are very happy with it.

The materials and rentals ended up running $2300, the guy from last year had quoted us $7500 so I saved quite a bit doing it myself and it is definitely more satisfying knowing I did it.

As far as time, I started tearing the steps off on a Friday and had the block done by Tuesday. I spent another week after work filling it in and cleaning up.

Hope you enjoyed the pics.

Orange
Old 05-06-2006, 11:38 AM

Default Re: I was all by myself.....DIY Trip Report (Lots of Pics)

Very nice. itll look great once you get some plants going.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:49 AM

Awesome job, looking great
Old 05-06-2006, 11:54 AM

i agree with the plants, post some pics once those guys get growing.

also, as far as that walkway, you should consider laying brick in "herringbone" style instead of having just gravel...

also, that driveway is going to look horrible if u decide to lay brick, so i'd get it paved ASAP (actually either way. i dunno if u just moved in, and i know u need to wait a year (right?) before u pave)
Old 05-06-2006, 11:55 AM

excuse my extreme ignorance because I'm a city brat, we don't have to worry about things like you do in the suburbs.

1) Any thought put into paving your driveway? I would think thats a better investment, am I wrong?

2) Your lawn looks like the soil needs some work, what are the best solutions to grow a very healthy lawn and to assure it remains that way?

3) I think I prefer the foundation fix with the wooden stairs, a mix & match. Do you feel you have lost any part of the rustic charm of the house by replacing the steps?

TT
Old 05-06-2006, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
excuse my extreme ignorance because I'm a city brat, we don't have to worry about things like you do in the suburbs.

1) Any thought put into paving your driveway? I would think thats a better investment, am I wrong?

2) Your lawn looks like the soil needs some work, what are the best solutions to grow a very healthy lawn and to assure it remains that way?

3) I think I prefer the foundation fix with the wooden stairs, a mix & match. Do you feel you have lost any part of the rustic charm of the house by replacing the steps?

TT

[/ QUOTE ]

1. The driveway is only a year old. With the frosts and winters it is a good idea to let it settle at least a year before paving. Also our road is new and they have not put the top coat of pavement on - so they would have to redo the end of it when they do.

Hopefully by next summer all of the lots are built out and they finish the road so we can pave.

2. The lawn is the project for the rest of this summer. The hydroseeding never took and the soil is a heavy clay. There will be lots of patching/fertilizing/watering this summer to try and fix it up. The neighbors had good luck fertilizing and seeding once a month last year so I am going to attempt that.

3. I don't think so, but I can see preferring one or the other. The house isn't really rustic if you look at it as a whole, more of a colonial feeling in a ranch layout. Either way the stairs had to go as the faulty screws were a safety hazard.

We built a little over a year ago and by next year I think I will have all the details done the way I want them. Lawn, driveway, and the remaining landscape.

Orange
Old 05-06-2006, 12:11 PM

Nice job, very impressive.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, as far as that walkway, you should consider laying brick in "herringbone" style instead of having just gravel...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's gravel for now until the road is finished so we can pave (see reply to TT). I'll end up haveing to redo that end of the walkway at that time anyway so it will work out well.

For the rest of this year I am going to try and find some brown stepping stones to fill it in a little.

Orange
Old 05-06-2006, 12:36 PM

very cool....nice job
Old 05-06-2006, 12:42 PM

This is very cool. You should post this on "2p2 of landscaping" message board so people better than us can give you props.