Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2006, 11:25 PM

Default I NEED SOME HELP/SUGGESTION TO IMPROVE MY PLAY AT 10/20

So far this year I've been able to beat every limit i've played at very good winrates, except for friggin 10/20 on party. I feel like I should be able to beat it, but can never seem to pull through. My play just seems to get careless/sloppy and usually by the end of the session i'm playing like a huge douche bag. So anyway I'm going to post a bunch of 10/20 hands that I feel like i've botched in the last few weeks and see what you guys think. Also many of you have played with me/ taken my money at 10/20 so general hints on my weaknesses/exploitable traits would be very helpful.

Here's one of many gems from last night. I managed to lose 4 6k-7k pots, and one 10k pot and still break even. So it wasn't all bad. Here is one of those big pots vs Samoleus.

***** Hand History for Game 4191031363 *****
$2000 NL Texas Hold'em - Friday, May 05, 10:52:55 ET 2006
Table Swept Away (No DP) (Real Money)
Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: cardsharkk04 ( $5595.20 )
Seat 5: samoleus ( $5975 )
Seat 3: hsinpei ( $2022 )
Seat 6: coduresa ( $4975.50 )
Seat 4: TheRHODESIAN ( $1920 )
Seat 2: Gamble4You ( $3891 )
coduresa posts small blind [$10].
cardsharkk04 posts big blind [$20].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to cardsharkk04 [ J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
>You have options at Third Base (No DP) Table!.
Gamble4You folds.
hsinpei folds.
>You have options at Rock Solid (No DP) Table!.
TheRHODESIAN folds.
samoleus raises [$56].
coduresa folds.
cardsharkk04 raises [$127].
samoleus calls [$91].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
cardsharkk04 bets [$270.11].
samoleus calls [$270.11].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
cardsharkk04 bets [$785.56].
samoleus calls [$785.56].
** Dealing River ** [ 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
cardsharkk04 checks.
samoleus bets [$2222].
cardsharkk04 calls [$2222].
samoleus shows [ 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ] three of a kind, sixes.
cardsharkk04 doesn't show [ J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ] a pair of queens.
samoleus wins $6856.34 from the main pot with three of a kind, sixes.

How would you play this differently, besides folding the river. Do you think its a good
idea or bad idea to be reraising him preflop when we are both fairly deep?
Old 05-05-2006, 11:30 PM

Default Re: I NEED SOME HELP/SUGGESTION TO IMPROVE MY PLAY AT 10/20

that re-raise is really pussy

since you are so deep, I think I would check the flop for pot control

idk whyyyy you are betting on the turn with this hand either...care to explain?
Old 05-05-2006, 11:40 PM

yeah preflop is weak. Also I don't like the hand you decide to reraise with especially against a strong player. I'd rather have something like 78s or A 4s than QJ/K10 type hands that can be easily dominated. It's obvious but reason being is that you can flop trip 7's w/78 or trip 4's with A4 and be certain you have the best hand...that sorta thing. If you flop trip J's with QJ where do you stand? Gonna put 5k in there vs Sam? Doubt it.

I don't mind the turn bet. I don't think you can check there. But the river is a must fold. You are repping AQ, KK, AA and Sam is NOT going to river bluff you into folding it. He's also not value betting Q 10. He's got you beat so fold.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:41 PM

Well the game was aggressive, and I don't feel like Sam is giving me credit for making hands (nor should he be) because I've fired a few second barrel bluffs and hes already picked off one or two of them. So His range for calling me here is a very wide, and I feel like its a value bet. I'm the type of person that doesn't use much pot control. When I think I'm ahead I just keep firing at it.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:49 PM

If you don't reraise like this a lot the re-raise is ok, because he may just assume you want action. However if u do this a lot its pretty bad and will get no respect.

The turn, I don't see a lot of value in betting, unless you fire 2nd barrels habitually and people just expect it from you. It was a dry flop so you dont need to worry about protecting your hand. River, I dont see what he's bluffing with here as there were no draws on the flop. He's either value betting or he floated both flop and turn witch may be possible, i don't know because i haven't played with him. I would think he would bet less on the river if he floated however because he wouldnt expect you to fold here if you had anything.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:50 PM

This is simple. Just make sure that Viciouspenguin is at your table. Problem solved.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:57 PM

Try playing fewer tables until you are a winner. You will improve faster and lose money at a slower rate.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:29 AM

Drop down 3 levels to 2/4NL and play with a subroll of 15-20 buyins for that and move up when you have the # of buyins for the next higher, just as you moved up before presumably. This will allow you to go back to basics and work out the kinks for less money on the line. At each level note the kinds of plays that work good, and those that no longer work at the next higher level. Makes notes everyday of the mistakes you believe you made (or post here or MSNL if you aren't sure) and what you need to work on. Review all of the above before you play each day.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm the type of person that doesn't use much pot control. When I think I'm ahead I just keep firing at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding ding ding. This means you don't have a plan (how to extract the most out of hands you beat and the least from hands you lose to) and it is also a serious problem if you want to play deeper than 100 BBs.

Top pair mid kicker is not the type of hand where it's safe to bloat a pot.

Few things...

Sure, it's fun to repop, but don't do it with QJo unless you are willing to be super passive postflop if you hit.

That said, when you DO repop, don't make it worth his while to call. You usually want to win it right there (because you shouldn't just be doing it with just your big hands).

On the flop.. meh. Bet's fine. I usually just check, though. The only thing you don't want is to be giving those 6 free cards on the flop, but you'll be getting less credit for you hand so it's much easier to get value on the turn or river.

On the turn, check. You got call on the flop by a good player who has position on you. That's a pretty horrible thing. Especially with your hand. You kiiiiinda want to get to showdown now. Betting here is suicide, imo.

And the river. Well. You know already. This is the kind of spot where soooometimes against a good player I'll bet 1/3 pot making it look like I really want to get raised off a hand. And with the way the hand went down you can be given credit for QQQ a fair amount I think, so you should be able to choose the price.

I'm not saying betting this river after getting called on both postflop streets, I'm saying that it's a lot better than check-calling a pot sized bet, because unless you're playing nuts, there's no reason for him to be delay bluffing the river after calling the flop and turn.

Fwiw, I fold AA/KK/AQ on the river if I check call. But with those hands I usually just bet out.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:46 AM

You just need to calm down imo, most 10/20 players aren't total nits, and you try to bluff them way to much imo.