Old 05-04-2006, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Chelsea or Arsenal

I think it's pretty close. I'm biased so have to vote arsenal
Old 05-04-2006, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's pretty close. I'm biased so have to vote arsenal

[/ QUOTE ]

What has arsenal done that makes it even remotely close? If they win the CL then we can have this thread again.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What has arsenal done that makes it even remotely close? If they win the CL then we can have this thread again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine. Replace Arsenal with Liverpool from last year. Maybe I should have worded it like this instead of using actual teams:

Would you rather your favorite team steamroll through the Premiership and bow out in the knockout rounds of the Champions League or win the Champions League yet finish somewhere in the 4th-6th range in the domestic league?

In regards to what Arsenal have done, I believe they have around 10 or so consecutive clean sheets in the Champions League, which is a Champions League record.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:27 PM

Keeping 10 consecutive clean sheets and setting a CL record is pretty good considering we've had 8 different left backs this year and the entire team cost about 30 million and chelsea paid nearly that for shaun wright-phillips
Old 05-04-2006, 10:36 PM

Chelsea has (or at least had at some point) 30 points more than Arsenal in the english league, they got knocked out of the Champions League by an extremly strong Barcelona team in a very close game (last year they lost in the semis against Liverpool with an inexistent goal). I get the point of the thread by I think the examples were poorly chosen.

I think it really depends on the team, for example if we're talking about Liverpool (a team that has been strugling domestically for many years) I think a domestic win is more important. For a team like Lyon on the other hand an european win would be much more important.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:39 PM

From the clubs perspectives, Arsenal have probably had a better season. Chelsea get disappointment from "only" winning the league -- they fully expected 2 or more trophies this season.

Whilst Arsenal are disappointed about a 4th/5th place finished, the Champions League final is still HUGE in the clubs history.

In terms of achievement, Chelsea have won more -- so far (which I think is Fallen Heros point), but in terms of personal achievement I think this season means more to Arsenal than it does to Chelsea.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From the clubs perspectives, Arsenal have probably had a better season. Chelsea get disappointment from "only" winning the league -- they fully expected 2 or more trophies this season.

Whilst Arsenal are disappointed about a 4th/5th place finished, the Champions League final is still HUGE in the clubs history.

In terms of achievement, Chelsea have won more -- so far (which I think is Fallen Heros point), but in terms of personal achievement I think this season means more to Arsenal than it does to Chelsea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree w/ this, if Arsenal can win.

While Arsenal might have a more flashy piece of hardware, they won't have quite the same bragging rights as Chelsea.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it should be noted that Chelsea has only won the league three times (and the first one was like 50 years ago) so I think domestic titles are still very important.