Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2006, 07:48 PM

Default No Internet Explorer History

I have a small office, and I'd like to see how one of my employees is spending his time. In general, I trust my employees and am rarely concerned with how they spend every single minute of the day, but lately I have some concerns.

His production is way down, and he spends most of the day shut in the office. I figured I would take a look at his internet explorer history so that when we talk about these issues, I know where I stand and how his time has been spent.

However, when I click the pulldown arrow on the address bar, there is no history at all. I think he must be using some automatic cleaning program of his visited websites.

Is there a way I can find out what sites he has been visiting? I'm not looking to put any sort of tracker on his computer, but would like to be able to check from time to time. I know there must be an alternate way of checking this. Any ideas?

Thanks -
Old 05-05-2006, 01:27 AM

Default Re: No Internet Explorer History

Generally you monitor the internet connection. There are packages out there that will log all activity and who made the connection. You can then go back and look at whatever activity you want.

At some point, every company winds up needing something like this.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:34 AM

I agree that we will probably get to that point, but I am wondering if there is any easy way to just check the computer without being cast for Mission Impossible.

Thanks for the idea...just looking for an easy one-time way.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:38 PM

Look at his cookies, he may not be erasing them.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:15 AM

When I used a computer at work I alway assumed someone might be watching what I was doing, because they can and there is no law prohibiting it.

From your post it seems you don't want to see the obvious (of course I could be wrong here). If someone clears their tracks on a computer its usually because they have something they want to hide.

If you want to know what the employee is doing there numbers of programs that will do it, ranging from free to big dollars. If his work was good, that would be one thing. If you are not happy with his work you have a lot to lose by not taking action. I can not reccommend a specific program but if you search (ex. - monitor work computer) the web you will find a lot of programs. A $100 (or more) speant now could be a bargain.

This is only my opinion but I would trust my gut on this one.

Good luck.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:24 AM

Keylogger Just google it if you want to get one.