Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2006, 07:02 AM

Default New blood for the forum! ( introduction and a question )

Hello 2+2 people ! This is my first post here. I've decided to join because, quite frankly, I want to become a better player. This place has a very good reputation for being a great place to learn, for starting players and pro's alike. I've been playing for about half a year now, with mixed results. When I just started out, I played a lot of $5 SnG's at Pokerroom.com, and i did well for the first few days. I deposited $50, and turned it into $70. It took me about a week to get that high, and then i lost it all in a single sitting. I was disapointed and unhappy, so i went to another site ( everest poker ), where you can play with micro limits , and go against bad players ( europians ;-)

To my surpirse I did badly. I had a very hard time reading the players, my check raises didn't work, I kept losing. Luckily only $10 this time ! I was puzzled. How could I do reasonably well ( well, maybe not so reasonably ) on a site thats known for relatively good players compared to a site with bad ones ? I was doing a lot of homework, reading and trying to digest Sklansky, Caro, Brunson, Baldwin, you name it.

It wasn't until a few days ago that it suddenly hit me : you can't use fancy tricks on people that don't know how to play poker. You can't read their hands if they don't know what they have ! I then understood what "betting for value" means. Funny how something can be in your face for months, but you don't see it, until suddenly you do.

Since then i've turned $0.04 into $10.03 !I started playing $0.05 -$0.10 limit this morning, with 6 players.

I mostly play high cards and if my position is good some draws. Do i need to play marginal hands more often because i'm against a lot of loose agressive players ? or do i need to stick to what i'm doing ? I'm playing the starting hands that sklansky suggest, but less flush and straight draws because I'm playing a bit short handed ( 6 players ) Should I maybe play a bit more small pairs ? I seem to be doing well with trips... Well, talking about poker is new for me so I hope I'm making sense. Looking forward to hearing from you guys ! -Regards, Joerii
Old 05-04-2006, 07:35 AM

Default Re: New blood for the forum! ( introduction and a question )

[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't until a few days ago that it suddenly hit me: you can't use fancy tricks on people that don't know how to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is an important lesson Ed Miller teaches in Small Stakes Hold'em (SSH). You should read this book, it is the primary reference in this forum.

[ QUOTE ]
I mostly play high cards and if my position is good some draws. Do i need to play marginal hands more often because i'm against a lot of loose agressive players? or do i need to stick to what i'm doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read SSH.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm playing the starting hands that sklansky suggest, but less flush and straight draws because I'm playing a bit short handed ( 6 players )

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm, flush draws (as well as OESD's) are very strong hands. They should be playable in any loose small stakes game with any numbers of players from any position. I prefer full ring games though, I find them easier than 6-max.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:37 AM

Hi welcome. Read SSHE and that will answer most of your immediate questions.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It wasn't until a few days ago that it suddenly hit me : you can't use fancy tricks on people that don't know how to play poker. You can't read their hands if they don't know what they have !

[/ QUOTE ]

I might amend this to say "if they ONLY know what they have." Many/(insert random percentage guess here) micro players simply play their own two cards. ie- I have a pair, He may be bluffing, etc. The fancy plays are lost on them because they often don't interpret what you are trying to tell them either correctly or at all.
Micro limits are very beatable with mostly straightforward ABC poker. People go too far with hands at this level- that is where much of your profit is.
Best of luck.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't until a few days ago that it suddenly hit me: you can't use fancy tricks on people that don't know how to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also read this post. Have fun. And maybe this one also (got to promote my own posts [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ), try to put them on hands before you read the results ...
Old 05-04-2006, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and go against bad players ( europians ;-)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehi!! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2006, 09:52 AM

Hahah don't take it personal [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I to am a europian...
Old 05-04-2006, 09:53 AM

Yeah that post about the damn fish is funny. I felt like that too, and now i'm exploiting the heck out of them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2006, 10:02 AM

To bad i just ordered remington on hold em part one and two and the book on low limit by Lee Jones... and i'm out of money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2006, 10:48 AM

If your roll gets up to $40, take half and get SSHE.

Check this out.

THIS

I also have a micro limits best of word doc. Its great. If you want it, PM your email and Ill send it to you.