Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2006, 05:36 AM

Default A JJ hand against a maniac?

Villain has been raising a lot... he's 60/40 with a decent sized sample, and has been pushing all in with bluffs, big hands, small hands, middle pairs, etc etc etc...

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $30.50
CO: $84.58
ksfirefox: $103.47
SB: $61.38
BB: $46.29

Pre-flop: (5 players) ksfirefox is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $3</font>, <font color="#cc0000">ksfirefox raises to $9</font>, SB folds, BB calls, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $15</font>, ksfirefox calls, BB calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($45.25, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises all-in $72.58</font>, ksfirefox ???

Is this a call in this situation? I was afraid of the third raise to mean queens or kings or better...
Old 05-04-2006, 05:39 AM

Default Re: A JJ hand against a maniac?

Given that he has been pushing with a wide range I think this is a call, unless you know that he doesnt RR without QQ+....
Old 05-04-2006, 05:43 AM

As maniacal as he is, this could be a crazy attempt to take what is a huge pot, especially for this early. I call it and make a note for his profile.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:49 AM

You have to call if you think he's trying to run the table over. When better would you take a stand? I imagine he has something like AQ, perhaps with a club...
Old 05-04-2006, 05:58 AM

Don't forget, the BB is still in the hand, too.

He called the re-raise to $9, and smooth-called the re-raise to $15?

Got any reads on him? Could he be sitting with a monster, letting the maniac do all the betting for him?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:20 PM

I played this hand cautiously, partially because I was suspicious of BB possibly working with the raiser in this hand. They had been talking in spanish with each other and were both from spain, but I also hadn't seen the maniac make a fourth raise, nor had I seen BB call such large raises.

Turns out one had AK and the other had like KQ (BB) or something... it was a good game even though I didn't make this call [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 05-05-2006, 05:03 AM

As soon as I saw the push on the 234 flop, I had him on an Ace and not much else. I'd say his range here is AK, AQ, marginally AJ. Flop pushes are always suspicious because more often than not they are the worst way to extract money from an opponent, and therefore are usually designed to repel opponents rather than attract them.

Given Villain's stats I would have made the call here. I feel like if I were him, and I held something like AA, KK, QQ, or even (very unlikely) a flopped set, why would I go all in as opposed to a 1/2 PSB which looks like a cbet, to get some more money in the pot?

One thing I have noticed whilst playing at low limits is that hyper aggression on early streets very often means "I have an unmade hand, go away please". However, given your reads I think your caution was more than justified.