Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2006, 10:51 PM

Default Winky Wright v Jermain Taylor

Pinny has this fight at basically even money right now, the closest big-time boxing line I've ever seen. So who has the edge?

I've seen Wright a few times, in his dismantling of Tito Trinidad and most recently struggling a little bit against a very energetic Australian fighter whose name I forget.

I haven't seen Taylor, but I know he beat Hopkins twice, and I know he's got good size and boxing ability.

How do these two match up? After watching Wright v Trinidad I thought Winky's style was completetly impenetrable (albeit incredibly boring to watch), but his last fight put some doubt in my mind. It seems like a world-class fighter can beat Winky by moving around the ring and not letting him constantly flick that right jab into his grill.

Does Taylor fit the bill? How do you guys see this fight playing out?

Sadat X
Old 05-03-2006, 11:53 PM

Default Re: Winky Wright v Jermain Taylor

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like a world-class fighter can beat Winky by moving around the ring and not letting him constantly flick that right jab into his grill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easier said then done, just ask Tito.

Winky's last fight was against Sam Soliman from Australia. Winky didn't look spectacular in that fight because Winky had just come down with the flu and could have pulled out of the fight, but decided to continue. Also Soliman fights an akward style and the perfect style against Winky, only thing is Soliman is the only person who can fight like that (at least the only person above 135 lbs not name Kassim Ouma).

This will be a fight will close to a million jabs thrown. Both fighters LOVE to jab. Taylor's jab is more an offensive/power punch, while Winky use his jab to control his opponet. This is a very close fight (evident by the odds). The OVER about as obvious as they come unless Winky cuts Taylor. I would have the give the early edge to Taylor because he is training with Manny Steward and that might be the X-Factor in this fight.

Tuds
Old 05-04-2006, 11:15 AM

Jermain would crush Winky. Come on, its simple.

Indy
Old 05-04-2006, 11:16 AM

I think Taylor gets a very slight edge because he beat a Hopkins twice, but I wouldn't be surprised if Winky won.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:56 PM

It's always so tempting to bet against Winky, seems like the public thinks he should be a bigger dog than than the bookies do. Something to consider?
Old 05-05-2006, 02:02 PM

I think taking the over is better than picking either fighter. I havent researched the fight much yet but I think it could go either way, but if I had to pick a fighter...maybe Taylor.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:05 PM

I too like the OVER.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:52 PM

The odds on the over are in the -400 range. So obviously the oddsmakers know this one is going the distance. I can't see either guy knocking the other guy out, but I could see Winky cutting Taylor and getting a stop that way, but the odds of that happening are closer to are higher then the Under is offering.

Tuds
Old 05-08-2006, 08:00 PM

Winky should be the favorite in this fight. He is, by far, the technically superior fighter and the level of his opposition is more impressive as well. Taylor's two decision victories over Hopkins were gifts; Hopkins outboxed the youngster in both.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:10 PM

Line now at +127 for Wright, who do we like? Anyone want to take a stab at breaking down this fight?