Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2006, 05:02 PM

Default NL100: AA utg + 3 Callers + MUBS = Too Passive or Pot Control?

Greetings All…

Just coming off a downswing (-550BB in four days)…half of it was variance (one/two outer’s – kings losing to aces – aces losing to kings – kings to sets - straights to flushes…yada-yada-yada.) but most of the rest was self-inflicted… I’ve been overplaying unimproved big pairs (AA/KK) – winning small pots or losing big ones (notably in losing sessions following a suckout)…also seem to have developed a case of the MUBS (monsters-under-bed-syndrome).

After a day off, 4 hours of hand analysis, renewed confidence from finding a leak, and arming my monitor with the following new stickies:

“Big Pots/Big Cards”
“Pot Control is Your Friend!”
“Unimproved AA/KK = 1 pair!”

I was dealt this hand…

Thoughts on all streets are appreciated…

Been at the table 40 hands or so...limited reads:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($166.62)– 57/17/1.84 seems to play any two suited/gapped cards
Button ($93.35)– fairly passive 32/4/1.4
SB ($35)
BB ($112.82)- is pretty solid - 25/11/1.44
Hero ($90.05)- I’m 22/14/1.80…pretty much ABC so far (no showed down hands to speak of)
MP ($87.82)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $4, Button calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $3.

<font color="#CC3333">After the third caller I begin to chant "Please Flop an Ace...Please Flop an Ace!"</font>

Flop: ($16.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

<font color="#CC3333">After whining about not being dealt the Ac, wondering if someone flopped the flush or hit their set, I curse the poker gods, read my NEW stickies (refer to top of post), and check.</font>

BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($16.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

<font color="#CC3333"> I figure I'm likely good here, but still have concerns that one of the two loose oponents behind me may be sitting on something that beats me or likely would call a pot sized bet with a high club. I read my stickies again and decide to check/call a reasonable bet behind me</font>.

BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $10</font>, Button calls $10, BB folds, Hero calls $10.

River: ($46.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $15</font>, Button calls $15, Hero calls $15.

Final Pot: $91.50 <font color="green"> </font> <font color="green"> </font>

Way too passive or appropriate pot control?