Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2006, 02:40 PM

Default Your thoughts on REITs

I was just curious as to the boards thoughts on REITs today and their future outlook. Any recommendtions? RWR?
Old 05-03-2006, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Your thoughts on REITs

There are many varities of REITs out there. You may already be aware of this and apologies if you are but there are three classes of REITs if you will, equity, hybrid, and mortgage. In the equity class there are sub classes if you will that invest in all kinds of commericial real estate such as shopping centers, office buildings, apartments, lodging, warehouses, etc. The ones in the hybrid class typically are involved with property and mortgages. In the mortgage REIT class there are a variety of companies with various business models.

REITs tend to be interest rate sensitive IMO. I recommended a variety of MREITs months ago and I'm still holding them. I've traded MREITs for years, they have high yields but are risky. For equity REITs I'd have a good idea of what their assets are and how they're valued. Book value can be misleading. Again FWIW and perhaps stating the obvious good management is vital to a price appreciation.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:02 PM

I rarely make changes to my asset allocation.

I recently sold my REIT mutual fund. Real estate is peaking. Sell now. Don't be tempered by their yields.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:53 PM

A REIT allocation of around 10% has been shown to reduce risk without hurting performance in the past. This is why I would include a REIT fund in my portfolio.

Recent returns have been very good but resist the temptation to chase performance.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:18 AM

As Adios mentioned, all REITs are not the same... it may be worth the time to look into specific companies at this point rather than a general REIT index.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:09 PM

I read an article about Redwood Trust recently that intrigued me. It's a residential mortgage REIT, trades at 5.5x earnings, 1.2x book, and offers a 6.7% dividend yield.

The article praised the management team saying they really understand risk and are committed to maintaining a conservative balance sheet. If you'd bought in the IPO in 1994, you'd be sitting on a CAGR of 19%.

It's a residential mortgage REIT so it's obviously leveraged to the consumer residential housing market (and the name suggests California exposure, but I haven't done any work on the name to understand how much exposure they have to CA).

Unfortunately, it's already run up about 10% in the past couple of weeks and is having another great run today.