Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2006, 11:19 AM

Default Personality factors- OCEAN

I studied a bit of psychology in university and it definitely helped my game. I read and reread chapters on decision making and I have been very impressed with 2+2's advice on how to apply to this to poker. I also thought that understanding personality factors would help and I studied this chapter quite a bit in my textbook. But I don't think I've taken this as far as I can and I'm sure some of you can give opinions on how this applies at the poker table.

For those not familiar, research has shown that 5 main factors contribute to personality- Openness to experience, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness and Neuroticism (OCEAN)

I've tried to work out how to spot these traits in my opponents and how this might predict their future play. I haven't really go that far with it but it has been useful nonetheless.

Openness to experience- Is he very set in his ways and predictable or will he actively make decisions later in the hand and try something new?

Conscientiousness- Think comes down to discipline and patience. Is he loose and sloppy? Will he do things he knows he shouldn't to get lucky?

Extraversion- Probably the easiest to apply to poker, we all know the loose extraverted guy loves to play a lot and gets impatient whereas the tight introvert will sit around waiting for AA and is less likely to bluff.

Agreeableness- How likely is he to challenge me? Does he love to "put you on AK"? Will he call down with weak hands because he doesn't believe the bettor?

Neuroticism- How much pressure can he handle? Will he blow up quickly and do something stupid? How does he react to pressure?

As I said I haven't really got that far with how this applies at the poker table so I'd like to hear your opinions. You don't need to have studied psychology, a little common sense and poker savvy will do.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Personality factors- OCEAN

The idea sounds pretty interesting. Do you have specific definitions of each term in mind?
Old 05-04-2006, 07:15 PM

Do you have a link to some online documentation that about OCEAN?

I think it would help to have a deeper understanding about what OCEAN is all about and how the different categories are meant to be applied.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:53 PM

I found this on wikipedia, it's a pretty good description:
OCEAN

Have a read through and let me know what you think.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:05 PM

I'd recommend researching social-cognitive theories of personality to have a better idea of psychological functioning in your opponents and anyone else. The trait theories are really lacking when compared to the modern concepts of social-cognitive psychology.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Extraversion- Probably the easiest to apply to poker, we all know the loose extraverted guy loves to play a lot and gets impatient whereas the tight introvert will sit around waiting for AA and is less likely to bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with any kind of stereotyping, as I wrote this month regarding The Breakfast Club, is that there are so many exceptions as well as people who are combinations of things that trying to peg down anything to "the simplest terms and the most convenient definitions" will hurt you more than help you.

For instance: almost without exception, I talk far more at any live table than anyone else -- when I'm in the hand, when I'm not, doesn't matter ... I chat it up to help me pass the time AND to keep the table laughing it up to make it a fun atmosphere. However, on the flipside, as I predominantly play limit hold 'em, my pre-flop standards are usually tighter than anyone else at the table so I'm folding constantly.

Don't get me wrong, poker has a ton of psychology (I love the Dr. Al and John Feeney 2+2 books) ... but you have to be careful to apply it correctly.