Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2006, 11:25 PM

Default Greatest Comeback Ever (long)

I've been playing in poker tournaments for about seven years and this is the best comeback that I can remember, especially this late in the game. And its definitely the best that I have ever had.

It was in my weekly home game tournament with 11 players. Everyone starts with 3k.Its a $20 buy-in. Each player gets one $20 rebuy anytime for another 3k in chips. The payouts were 1st: $220, 2nd: $70 and 3rd: $30.

Early on I was doing ok, but not great. I ended up busting out with A-J suited vs. 33. Since we had a decent crowd and there were already a couple rebuys, I decided I would
take my one rebuy.

After that I was doing pretty well, I built my 3k into about 5k when we got to the final table. I was doing ok, holding my own, but not gaining many chips. Eventually we got down to four people. Three of us had 3k-5k. And
Brian had about 30k. Blinds were up to 800-1600.

I tried taking out Drew with A-8 suited from the SB and he called me with A-9 suited in the BB. I couldn't catch so I was down to 1000.

So I only had 1000 and the blinds were 800-1600. And now
I'm in the BB. All fold to Brian who only has to call 200 more to put me all-in. My 4-4 held up against his 9-2 and I was up to 2000.

Now I'm in the SB. All fold to me and I move all-in with 7-3. If I thought about it much longer I might have just
folded it, because at that point I was still just trying to limp into third place. But he had been laughing at how bad his hand was and showing it around. I thought there was a chance he might lay it down. I told him "I have a pretty decent hand." He only had to call 400, and he should have called with anything, but he laid his 2-3 down and I was back up to 3600. I think I stole the blinds after that and got built up another 2400.

The next hand Drew was all-in and Scottie pushed all-in behind him. I was in the BB and was ready to call with just about anything. But I had 7-2o and had to lay it down. Luckily I did, because Scottie had pocket Aces and took out
Drew. For some reason Drew took his 3000 rebuy when the blinds were 800-1600, so he was still in the game.

Soon Drew was back to the felt. He was in the BB with only 425. Scottie Limped UTG, Brian on the Button called. And I had 10-6 in the SB. I knew I couldn't get reraised by Drew, so I called, I was getting a pretty good price to see the flop. We all checked it down to the river, it was an ugly
flop and we were all just trying to finish off Drew. Then an 8 hit the river and I hit my Gutshot straight. I bet my last 3400, into the 5200 pot. I should have only bet 1600, because everybody folded, but it was still a nice pot and I took out Drew for good.

Then I was in the SB with 2-3. I raised it up to 3200 to try to steal the blinds from Scottie. He called me in BB. The flop came 5-6-8. I had a gutshot draw, but not much else. I was going to move all-in. But I decided to just bet 2000 to throw him off. I took awhile to make my bet. I would
have had 3200 left if he called. It worked and I took down a nice pot with the 2-3. Later he told me he had Q-10.

The next hand Scottie moved all-in with K-J and got
called by Brian with A-4. Brian hit an Ace on the flop and turned two pair to take out Scottie.

Now I was heads up against Brian. I had about 10k and he had about 40k. So I was a 4-1 underdog. The first hand of heads up he pushed all-in. I called with 66. He had K-10. My sixes held up. Now I had 20k and he had about 30k.

The second hand of heads up I tried to steal the blinds with 8-3 of clubs.Brian called. The flop came 9-5-9 with two clubs. I bet out 4k and he folded. I took the chip lead after that.

The third hand of heads up I got a A-4 of HEARTS in the BB. He called the SB and I let it go. The flop came J-8-3. ALL HEARTS. I was first to act. I checked. He pushed all-in with J-10. I called instantly. It was all over. There was a
little drama on the turn though. He hit a 10. And he had a few outs to hit a boat on the river, but he missed.

Good day sir. I love coming back from half of a BB to win a tournament.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Greatest Comeback Ever (long)

DONKAMENT
Old 05-02-2006, 11:30 PM

Yes, it is the greatest comeback ever.
Straus' one chip, after he didn't even notice he had it, and was about to leave-->world champ and Farha's 1.3m second place cash in 04 are second to your achievement.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:33 PM

I thought you meant verbal comeback. It was all right though. Nice story.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love coming back from half of a BB to win a tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

It certainly helps when your brilliant opponents actually lay down a hand getting 9:1 preflop against your all-in.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:59 AM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.

I had sex with your wife!
Old 05-03-2006, 11:10 AM

The jerk store called, they're running out of you!
Old 05-03-2006, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now I'm in the SB. All fold to me and I move all-in with 7-3. If I thought about it much longer I might have just
folded it, because at that point I was still just trying to limp into third place. But he had been laughing at how bad his hand was and showing it around. I thought there was a chance he might lay it down. I told him "I have a pretty decent hand." He only had to call 400, and he should have called with anything, but he laid his 2-3 down and I was back up to 3600. I think I stole the blinds after that and got built up another 2400.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love homegames
Old 05-03-2006, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DONKAMENT

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL