Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2006, 07:28 PM

Default Advice? Not with hands...

So - I have been playing play money lately, trying to reach $10,000,000 on PokerStars. Been keeping a blog on it too...

Anyway - that's not what I need help with. I was bored and logged on Full Tilt, and found $22 in my account...don't ask how, because I haven't had money there in over two months. And I went broke. Anyway, not gonna fight it, but anyone have any suggestions what to do? Currently, I'm playing the smallest stakes (5c10c) and buying in for $2...I think I want to do this until I reach a substantial amount, like $100 and then start doing $5 buyins, eventually moving up until I reach $200.

The problem in the past is, I get bored very easily of playing one game. Is it worth learning to be disciplined to stick to the grind and play ABC poker with min-buyins at this level? Or should I just do full buyins?

p.s. Sorry to make this long.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Advice? Not with hands...

You should do full buyins and then play a little tighter till you build a bankroll.

You could set mine for a while. At these limits you could fold 1000 hands in a row and i'm sure no one would notice.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:38 PM

My advice? Deposit $50 in a site with .01/.02 NL games. 'Stars comes to mind. And grind it out playing TAG/ABC poker with full buyins.

I'm not a fan of buying in short, because I think it stunts your post-flop development. Many folks do it, though, and show success. I personally love to bust shorties. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2006, 07:45 PM

I'm only buying in short because my bankroll is $25...say I'm a poor college student and don't want to deposit. I have this money now, so I might as well try to build a bankroll from it. I usually do buyin for the max, as long as I have the bankroll for it...but buying in for the max would be almost half my bankroll and I don't like that.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:46 PM

Transfer your money to stars or UB and play NL$1 or NL$5. Much better than buying in short.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:49 PM

If you have problems playing tight poker and waiting for hands, you could try shorthanded no-limit. Shorthanded allows for a LAG style of play to be profitable. But definitely play the micros until you buil a bankroll. .01/.02 seems very small and unmotivating to me, but you could probably quickly make a profit and start moving up the ladder by starting here. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:50 PM

If you have a dormant Party Poker account, check it, as you may have received $50 or $100.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:23 PM

I got a transfer to Stars actually...so I should be fine playing the micro-games they have there now.