Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2006, 08:23 PM

Default Subway (food) Incident

this afternoon i went to pick up some lunch at the subway that is three minutes from my house.

as i am sure everyone is well-aware, the quality of subway can vary wildly, as there are different degrees of skill with regards to being a "sandwich artist."

the inside of the subway is occupied at the moment by:
-26 year old black male worker with flour on his face.
-43 year old manager skank woman (probably a pillhead).
-20 year old white worker/stoner/methhead.
-fat bald italian guy currently having his sandwich made.
-random in-store diners.

after walking in i am waiting at the counter next to the italian guy that is having two foot-long subs made by the black worker.

i am standing there for a few minutes as he crafts two sandwichs with more meat than i have ever seen on a subway. he is taking his time, piling it on, and doing an excellent job. the italian guy may have ordered 3x normal meat.

this is taking a while, and as im standing there neither the skank manager or white guy extend me any service. this is fine and i really don't mind waiting around for a while especially knowing that the black guy will also do an excellent job making my sandwich.

after a while, when the italian guy realizes he also wants a pound of heated bacon on everything, the black worker says to the skank woman and other guy "hey this guys been standing there for like 10 minutes, can someone get him?". damnit i think.

so the young white guy finally walks over and asks what i would like. i tell him "Six inch Club on white". he chooses what looks like an awful loaf of bread and gets to work.

as soon as he starts cutting the bread i get irritated. he cut it so lopsided that one half is so thin, which in my opinion takes away from the sandwich. still no big deal.

he then spaces out and asks me again what i ordered. he begins to put on the meat when i remind him i wanted a 6" and not a footlong, and he apologizes and says he is out of it.

for those not aware of the subway club, it is made up of ham, turkey, and roast beef.

he lazily slings on a tiny scrap of ham and two pieces of turkey. he then puts on 2 tiny cheese triangles haphazardly and begins to slide it down towards the condiment station.

at this point it is easily the worst sandwich i have ever seen made at a subway. and he forgot roast beef. so i say "doesn't the club come with roast beef?" and he is like "oh yeah" and grabs a small hunk and throws it on there.

before even giving him the chance to butcher the vegetable toppings and condiments, i say "look just forget it" and walk out of the store.

normally i just let stuff like this go, but i could picture how pissed i was going to be the whole time i was eating it back home. so i said f it and left.

was this a dick/douche move, or a play of the day? keep in mind that this sandwich looked like someone said "make the worst looking sandwich possible without crapping on it".
Old 04-30-2006, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Subway (food) Incident

When the black dude asked the other guy to help you, why didn't you say: "no no I'll wait. You're doing an excellent job on this guy's sandwich and I want you to make mine."

You would have gotten a better sandwich than the Italian dude because the black guy would have been so happy about your compliment and would double his effort on you.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:27 PM

Meh, not unreasonable.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:27 PM

Chud,

As a fellow Subway-snob, I approve of the play. IIRC there was a similar thread a longgggg time ago on here, but maybe my memory deceives me.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-random in-store diners.

[/ QUOTE ]

26 and 43, eh? That's a pretty good read you had on those ages.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-random in-store diners.

[/ QUOTE ]

26 and 43, eh? That's a pretty good read you had on those ages.

[/ QUOTE ]

How old was the Italian? That changes everything.

Not a bad move, but as someone pointed out it would have been better to say you'll wait for the black dude.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:40 PM

chud,

Play of the day. The whole "I'll wait for the black dude" is of course an unrealistic scenario that nobody ever do, I don't know why people are suggesting that as if they'd actually do anything like that ever.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:41 PM

This is all standard, except for the making fun of the Italian guy. Double meat and bacon are two of my secrets to making Subway good.

You've really got to stay on top of your Sandwich Artist, too. If you don't like the bread he chose or the way he cut it, speak up. I don't go to Subway often, but when I do I get: 12" turkey, double meat, bacon, avocado, a little bit of mayo and mustand on the jalapeno cheese bread. It ends up being like $10, but I recommend it.

Simply aborting the mission is WAY better than getting pissed off and fighting with the Subway people though, because they don't care and it won't make you feel better.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chud,

As a fellow Subway-snob, I approve of the play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Subway has the worst workers ever with the exception of Taco Bell.

I once was served by someone who literally didn't speak english. The manager was translating everything I said and asked to the worker, then the manager was translating what she said back to me.

Quizno's is so much better but so much farther away from my house.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:43 PM

Going to Subway just to order a 6 inch club on plain white bread?