FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2006, 12:06 PM

Default NL200 KK blind battle vs TAG on an ugly board

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $8</font>, CO folds, SB calls.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($18, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $15</font>, SB calls.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($48, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $30</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $60</font>, Hero calls.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($168, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $50</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: $268

SB is standard TAG (20/10/5), no other reads. A friend pointed out that if I was going to call the river I might as well push since SB only had ~$65 left. Given the fact that I have no FE I agree with him in retrospect.

However during the hand I just called the river bet because I'm not sure if the river was a value bet or a continuation bluff/blocking bet.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:14 PM

Default Re: NL200 KK blind battle vs TAG on an ugly board

A TAG is unlikely to call your preflop raise with 8x so the turn raise is suspect. I like the turn call and would call a reasonable bet on the river. $50 seems reasonable enough to call, but I don't see a raise here.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:33 PM

OOP, my TAG-azz would reraise PF with AA, KK, or possibly QQ. I would call OOP any PP and probably AK, possibly AQ (but not likely).

My set looks good on the flop so I'll slowplay....

Oh man, I just made a boat (or quads) on the turn! I've been betting pretty strong recently (5 AGG) so let's gambollllll and check the turn.

"How Sweet It Is"!! I know a mini raise on the turn gives my hand away to all but the donkish donks out there, but I'll still give it a whirl.

River: Good witch Glynda: "Now Dorothy, repeat after me: What amount will he call, what amount will he call????"
Old 04-30-2006, 12:39 PM

Well played.

[ QUOTE ]

SB is standard TAG (20/10/5), no other reads. A friend pointed out that if I was going to call the river I might as well push since SB only had ~$65 left. Given the fact that I have no FE I agree with him in retrospect.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not correct logic. You should raise the river if you're ahead of his calling range 51% of the time (he never folds a better hand). How much he has left is irrelevant, except in adjusting his calling range. I think a read would help, or some idea of how frisky he gets in blind battles. It's most likely he just has a J here, so a raise on the river is probably +EV. I think if you're beat it would have to be 89s or 78s, or quads.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:47 PM

The reason for pushing river is:
1) I have no FE, any A-high or pocket is going to call the river bet with 1/6 odds.
2) I call turn because I think I'm ahead, therefore I should max value by pushing river. Almost everyone leads a considerable amount after min-checkraising, if I was going to let go of this hand it would've meant folding the turn.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:29 PM

either fold the turn or push the river. against a donk, I fold the turn. against a thinking player, I push the river.