Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2006, 07:13 AM

Default Two confused hands

I took a month or two off poker, and it seems I've forgotten how to play this game. Here are two hands from my latest session where I felt lost.

Hand one:

Villain is very LAG, borderline maniac. I'm not sure if I should let this go on the flop or not. And then I make my hand on the turn, and I don't know whether I should raise there or let villain keep betting. (When I raised on the flop, I didn't plan on hitting my hand. I was going to check behind on the turn, if possible, and call river UI.)

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

Hand two:

Villain is unremarkable/unknown. I feel I'm behind on the flop (probably Ax?), but I have odds to call my five outer. But should I raise instead?

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls...
Old 04-30-2006, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Two confused hands

Hand 1: Against a LAG I'm just calling the flop and raising the turn after I pair my hand. You're not getting fold equity or buying a free turn card much against this type of player, and it would really suck to get 3-bet.

Hand 2: In a small pot or with a read I could give this up on the flop. In this large pot without a read I'm raising - my hand may be best, plus I may fold out a weak ace behind.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:29 AM

Hand 1: call flop; raise turn.

Hand 2: since every A is played at this level the chance that u are behind is good. If you have 5 outs that's enough to call with but it still only gives you 20% equity if you are going to the river. Against 1 opponent that's not enough to raise unless you think it will make him fold which I doubt.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:12 AM

Pre-flop: standard
Flop: I like raising if there's another player in the hand behind you. Heads up I call... you're not folding him out and more than likely (according to your description) you won't buy a free card and you could get 3 bet.
Turn: If I called the flop I raise the turn... since you didn't this is fine.
River: Fine.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:17 AM

Hand 1:
The reason for raising the flop in this hand should be if you think that it might buy you a free card, if you miss your draw on the turn.

As your opponent is LAGgy, this is less likely to happen, so I would have checked behind on the flop.

When your opponent donks the turn, I would raise for value. As he is loose, he could easily have an Ace with a worse kicker than yours.

Same with the river, I would raise for value.

Hand 2:
I think your flop call was better than a raise.

Your opponent probably does have an Ace as he is betting into the preflop raiser. If you raise the flop (for a free card), you run the risk of being 3-bet by the unknown player.

Your draw is weakened by the possibility of a Q completing a straight for someone holding JT.

Calling the flop bet with reasonable pot odds for your 5 outs seems the best play to me.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:28 AM

Hand 1:
I would just call the flop and then raise the turn. Then bet to a check on thr river or just call it down.

Hand 2:
Raise the flop. IF he 3-bets I would call to see the turn. Even if he has Ax this may get you a free card if he checks the turn on the back of your raise on the flop. If he bets the turn, call him down if you have the right odds.