Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2006, 08:01 PM

Default A semi-bluffing spot 75/150

Villain seems like a typical player (non-regular) for this game, maybe a little tight. I don't have any specific information.

PokerStars 75/150 Omaha/8 (4 handed)
Hand History Converter Tool

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.66 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.33 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.33 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:02 PM

Default My initial thoughts

You can 3-bet preflop if you'd like, and I do sometimes, but I'd rather have initiative OOP vs. players I know better. Taking a shot at the pot in some way is pretty much mandatory too (there are many ways to do this). But the cards get weird.

On this turn card, I will be raised a ton by all kinds of hands. This sucks, because I usually have many outs if I do not already have the best hand. I could check-call and announce my hand as a draw (planning to bluff many flush cards), but this line makes it much easier for hands like AK49 to reach a showdown and win. It also might encourage a river bluff from a worse hand.

On the river, I have another problem. I do not know if my opponent is dumb enough to make a heroic fold w/ trips if I bet this nasty card, or if he is confused enough to pay off with a worse hand. Since he can hardly bluff this card, I check planning to fold.

What do you think?
Old 04-30-2006, 12:03 AM

Default Re: My initial thoughts

I think the problem is on the turn and river. You called his turn raise, so he's repping the 2 in his hand.

When you call that bet, and then the river isn't the magical King, what was the point in chasing the four outs (if they were even clean outs and didn't give him a boat)?

You absolutely must bet that river, since you only have to fold your opponent 1 time in 8 to make it profitable (the river completes a flush draw and a straight draw, and if all he has is trips, he very well may lay it down, he's likely only calling if he made the flush or the boat in most instances)
Old 04-30-2006, 12:44 AM

Default Re: A semi-bluffing spot 75/150

Since he's a non-regular, and maybe on the tight side, I think a bet on the river might be worth it. Against any regular, I'd assume you'd get called by anything that beats you, and would fold out anything you beat, but since this guy might be new to the general aggressiveness of the game, he could be prone to making a mistake by folding a weak deuce or straight or something.

It could be that I'm only saying this because I see he checked behind on the riv--if I don't see that then maybe I'm more likely to say you played the hand perfect (aside from riv I think the rest is fine). Next time leave the action on that street out.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:47 AM

Default Re: My initial thoughts

lol at trips folding 4 handed in the 75/150 game gg! I can't think of any better hands that fold to a river bet. In a lot of shorthanded games I am playing it exactly like this and pay off the river if he bets. Typical in this game from my limited experience includes raising lots of draws and other junk on the turn.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:06 AM

i check this river.

betting seems like a spew.

4 handed....makes my decision a little closer, but i still check this river.

sometimes i three bet this turn short handed and just never let off the brakes, but, that's against an opponent i know.

i'd three bet preflop four handed....i really only like playing agg. pf sh.

lots of lines here, really....
Old 04-30-2006, 01:56 AM

Am I the only one that takes the
Fold the flop OOP line?
Old 04-30-2006, 02:02 AM

I hope so.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one that takes the
Fold the flop OOP line?

[/ QUOTE ]
What? You have a bellybuster with a backdoor nut low. Folding here would be crazy. I like leading out against tighter oppoents and the check-raise is good against agressive opponents.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:56 PM

I like the flop line, but once that the deuce comes and he raises your turn bet, you are pretty much done with the hand. I don't understand calling the turn, and calling the river with ace high is awful (whihc someone suggested). Yes, he could be raising the turn on a draw, but he might be bluffing with the best hand. Fold the turn and move on.