Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2006, 06:52 PM

Default Should PokerStars limit third party databases?

[Sorry for the delete/repost. I typo'd an important point in there]

Hi folks –
Most of you are aware of the various sites which provide databases of information about players’ tournament results. [1] Many players feel that such databases are an invasion of their privacy and would prefer that those sites not gather such information. While it’s almost impossible to completely prevent somebody from collating information that’s generally available to the public, we could take steps that make it more difficult. We have no specific plans at this time, but would like to get a sense of how the 2+2 community feels about this idea. So please answer the two survey questions below.

Of course, we would like to hear your comments about this as well.

Best regards,
Lee Jones

PokerStars Poker Room Manager

[1] Just for the record, PokerStars has no relationship with any of these sites and does not, in any way, provide expedited, special or extra information to them.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Should PokerStars limit third party databases?

[ QUOTE ]
[Sorry for the delete/repost. I typo'd an important point in there]

Hi folks –
Most of you are aware of the various sites which provide databases of information about players’ tournament results. [1] Many players feel that such databases are an invasion of their privacy and would prefer that those sites not gather such information. While it’s almost impossible to completely prevent somebody from collating information that’s generally available to the public, we could take steps that make it more difficult. We have no specific plans at this time, but would like to get a sense of how the 2+2 community feels about this idea. So please answer the two survey questions below.

Of course, we would like to hear your comments about this as well.

Best regards,
Lee Jones

PokerStars Poker Room Manager

[1] Just for the record, PokerStars has no relationship with any of these sites and does not, in any way, provide expedited, special or extra information to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the status quo.

(obv)
Old 04-29-2006, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I like the status quo.

(obv)

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed
Old 04-29-2006, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is that an invasion of players privacy?

[/ QUOTE ]
(quote from previous thread)

Again, I like the sites, but I'll play devil's advocate.

I played a HU SnG the other day and before the first hand was dealt the guy said 'I hope you don't win as much HU as you do in Tournaments', in a SnG a while back two idiots who I didn't know at all were fighting and one of them said and one of them said 'I looked everyone up, me and kneeco are the only two winning players here'.

Although it's nice that people think I can play poker when I really can't, but aren't I entitled to keep my private poker/financial results private?
Old 04-29-2006, 07:10 PM

I don't really care. I just think it's funny that some people acknowledge the db as the bible.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:13 PM

Hey Lee, thanks for posting here and continuing to post here. It's things like this that make Pokerstars truly the best place to play online, tournament or no.

As for the question, as mentioned in the other thread, I don't see the point of limiting the gathering of public information. The Hendon Mob has been doing it for live tournaments and it's heralded as a great resource for poker. If the information for something is available, generally someone will arrange that information and make it generally more available for everyone. In fact, I would call it a serious error if the databases were to be shut down, simply because it's a very easy way to keep track of your results over a long period of time (and most people don't keep records of their play).

I understand that pokerstars is trying to make things pretty strict recently so as not to defame it for condoning 'cheating' or anything else equally shady, and this might be part of that witch hunt. I think that anyone who plays on pokerstars either KNOWS it's not rigged or cheatery. This route isn't one to take to improve the image of online poker.

Once again, thanks again. And if what I said didn't make any sense please forgive me, I am rather ill.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It was a nicer way of saying "there's no freaking way that this is an invasion of privacy". It's just not. Some might not like it, but in no way do pokerdb and others invade players privacy. Your cashes aren't private.

As I said, I'm not sure what other features pokerdb are offering. There's nothing wrong with the "basic package". I really don't think stars should block their access to public information.

[/ QUOTE ]

yuv,

i agree somewhat w/ you. i occasionally look people up while im at the table and dont mind if others do the same. it really bothers me when someone announces it to the entire table what my year-to-date winnings are though. it just bugs me.

however there's nothing public about these records.

bwana
Old 04-29-2006, 07:15 PM

freedom of information rocks. that's all I have to say.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How is that an invasion of players privacy?

[/ QUOTE ]
Although it's nice that people think I can play poker when I really can't, but aren't I entitled to keep my private poker/financial results private?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think even playing the devil's advocate, there's no basis for limiting the cashes and place finished information. If anything, stars should be only considering the extra information (roi, profit, itm% etc).

To be honset tho, I hardly use those sites while playing.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Lee, thanks for posting here and continuing to post here.

[/ QUOTE ]

id like to echo this sentiment. i was going to initially and then got confused w/ the post/repost of the poll.

it's great when we feel our input is being solicited and feel we have some sort of impact on the pokerroom. keep up the great work.

because of the approach you take w/ your site and the problems the other sites have dealt w/, ive converted. last year i played about 90% party skins, 5% stars and 5% other. i havent played anything but stars in about four months.

bwana