Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2006, 02:13 PM

Default Re: KTo fancy, standard, or suck?

[ QUOTE ]
You's smart.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-16-2006, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope im not letting the results of your hand influence me but I think I like donking that turn alot better than checkraising....why is this so? Well when most players 3bet a flop checkraise on this board, I think the probability of them having a draw goes up significantly. Many players with a set or two pair or better would simply call the flop checkraise and pop the turn knowing you will bet no matter what card comes out. Given this dynamic, and the reality that the worst card in the deck hit if your opponent was on a draw, I would rather bet/call the turn. By playing your hand this way you still avoid giving your opponent a free card if he has a hand like J8 or 87 or some other gutshot that missed, and you never get 3bet, and your donk may still induce him to raise with a worse hand, and lastly sometimes a checkraise here will fold out a lesser hand like Tx or JJ/QQ whereas if you donk, these hands will almost always call down. So in this specific spot, I like donking the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suck at limit hold'em
Old 08-16-2006, 06:18 PM

Interestingly, if we donk the turn, QQ and JJ aren't making a Fundamental Theorem of Poker mistake until they call the river UI.

If Villain folds QQ or JJ to a turn checkraise (but he won't), he is making a FTOP mistake, although he'd be better off folding immediately if he planned to call again UI on the river.

Anyway, FWIW, if we knew Villain had QQ and would fold immediately to a turn checkraise but would call down versus a donkbet, we'd do a little better by checkraising.

But of course this is all theoretical since we don't know his hand or how he's going to play it. And I do agree that that turn card improved us in a very dangerous way. Probably donking the turn is best, although I'm not sure I'd come up with that line at the table.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:50 PM

Call down. I'd also cap the flop or at least lead the turn.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:02 PM

Is it routine for them to 3-bet gutshots at this level? I could see KQ doing it maybe, but then he wouldn't check through. I don't see many hands checking through here, especially with the overcard coming on the turn.